Leo Gecko Enclosure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Question - If I had a perfectly usable tank that had a wooden bottom and had caulk in a few places, would an undertank heater work alright with that and would that be a fire hazard? Would it melt the caulk? It's only an idea that I'm toying with, it'd be for a leopard gecko and reptile carpet would be put down so the gecko itself wouldn't be touching the tank bottom obviously. Preemptive thank you's :)

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
chase thorn said:
Read the warning on the UTH. You should not have a problem.

I would check the warning on it but I think it might be Bc those UTH get pretty hot and I don't think it would do it's job with a wood bottom Bc it may be too thick.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah you may have issues getting the right temps. I think it would look great, but the temps is a problem. I do not think a fire could start as I have used uth's on plastic a couple times and they seem to not get to hot, that is if you have a thermostat so it doesn't get too hot :)

How thick is the bottom?

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I honestly don't know, it was a good deal that i seen on craigslist and plan on getting. Do you think that if i used a heat bulb with it like i plan on doing that it would be okay? that way i would for certain have the right temps?

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
hmmm I am not sure if a bulb would heat the wood and for the wood to hold the heat well... Since you plan to put the reptile carpet down, I think that may heat up nice... One thing about reptile carpet! put it with the less fuzzy side up. I have had some issues with teeth and finger nails getting stuck in the fibers! All I did was take a liter to it and burn the fuzzy pieces off... Just a little tip! You don't want any missing toes!

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
thank you for the advice :) I'm still looking for a relatively cheap 20L near me so hopefully i can find one, that one was only $20 though so i was considering it

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Under tank heaters usually specify that they should only be used with glass tanks.

Petco should be having another $1/gallon sale soon.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I use a 10 gallon. Most people I know with a rack system use small rubbermaid shoe boxes. A 20 gallon has a better temperature gradient though! I have a 10 gallon with a 8" x 7" UTH. It work very well! My temps are also very stable in the 10 but I think a 10 would have a better cool side.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
If i find a 20gal L or 29gal for cheap or decent price then i will get that. If I have to buy it new then my little guy will be in a 10gal tank until PetCo has its dollar per gallon sale lol.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Sounds like a good plan. Bet thermostat for the price is the hydro farm digital stat on amazon. Best $30 I spent for my little guy! The reptile companies charge way to much.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
0.0 My grandparents just randomly stopped by my apartment and gave me a 10gallon tank with a screened lid, a half log hide, a rock heater (which i probably won't use), and a large corner water dish. The expensive heavy kind. I was pleasantly shocked, both by my present and by the fact that my family and friends have come to associate any tank that isn't meant for fish with me and my hobbies XD

What about this one? It is actually a thermostat, as stated clearly on the package, but it is cheaper?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...reptitemp-500r-remote-sensor-thermometer.html

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
Thts awesome! I wish my grandparents did tht! I wouldn't use the rock heater. It may burn them.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
YES that stat looks very good! What you want is a stat that has a temp probe so it measures surface heat... which this one does. The one I got is just very accurate and easy to use. Mine is just what I prefer but that one looks really good!

If you have not seen, This guy, sasobek, is one of the top breeders ever! (Search his name on facebook to see his collection, breath taking animals)

But here is a good video that may help you out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09IdcoSpbUo

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm not going to use the rock heater, no, and i will check out his videos, thank you :)

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
>.> I was also just given a 50 gallon tank for free from one of my best friends....I didn't even realize that she had a tank that size....

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I don't plan on using the 50 gallon unless 1.) I decide to get between 3-5 leopard geckos. 2.) my Russian Tortoise female has babies. Which I highly doubt will happen. So so far I plan on keeping it just in case i need it pretty much ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.