LED lights and tortoises

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Does anyone know if led lights are harmful to tortoises' eyes? I have an upper level in my enclosure and its a little dark under the overhang. I was thinking of sticking one of those battery operated puck lights on the underside, and I think they are led...wondering if this is ok?

Turtlepete

South Florida
LED lights are the new thing for lighting homes. My house is all LED lights. So if they don't hurt humans, they certainly shouldn't cause any harm to tortoises. Unless they are the very high output ones that are used for reef tanks and such.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does anyone know if led lights are harmful to tortoises' eyes? I have an upper level in my enclosure and its a little dark under the overhang. I was thinking of sticking one of those battery operated puck lights on the underside, and I think they are led...wondering if this is ok?

http://www.livescience.com/31949-led-lights-eye-damage.html

I personally would not use the bulbs for areas where the tort can not escape from....I don't use them indoors either....they are simply very intense....however, they work well outdoors to illuminate a large area....again, you can research many reports pro and con and then perhaps come up with your own informed choice??