Last hope for my baby RES! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

530blackoak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California ~ where it is actually cold!
I have been an owner of RES turtles only as a kid, and never had problems like this story... The beginning of July I bought 2 baby RES turtles from a girl in our small town. One of them was always sleeping, I had to bug him and pick him up and kinda of wake him to get him to eat. The other baby has thrived, gotten bigger etc... as a few weeks went by I noticed that the smaller one was starting to have trouble grabbing just one piece of food at a time, he was out of breath. He would give up on eating and swim back to the basking rock to breathe through his mouth (which I know they don't breathe through their mouth). He started blowing bubbles from his nose, gasping, not eating, sleeping excessively, complete signs of a RI. I separated him into his own tank. Oh and his hands and feet are extremely swollen?? Weird. His eyes are now swollen. I am keeping the water warmer than normal, about 85, there are no drafts. The heat lamp is good, I am just feeling like I am watching this poor little guy die. We have no herp Vet near us at all. Our large animal vets barely show up at their offices now as it is. I did read about a medication called enrofloxacin it would be given in 20% dosage and orally, this is the same as BYTRIL. althought, it can be bought OTC; well online. So, any ideas? I have tried to feed him also, and he will not eat at all. So so worried.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baytril is the common name for enrofloxacin. I think you will find that when you go to put the Baytril in your shopping cart, it will tell you that you need a prescription to buy this product.

Also, I would not try to figure out the dosage by myself. You need a vet to give you the correct amount.

I'm sorry about your baby turtle. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but other than finding a vet who know turtles, I don't know what to tell you.

530blackoak

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, I hate just sitting here and not being able to do anything for the little guy :( As for the Baytril, I don't think I am going to get it. From what I have read about RI and seeing how terrible he is...I just don't know... :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry about your little one. Maybe try some carrot baby food soaks. It works for tortoises that has swollen eyes and that is not eating. I don't know what else to tell you either, except I am so sorry. Hope something turns around for you and the little guy.

530blackoak

5 Year Member
Getting use to how the forum works so I am sorry if my other quick reply is floating around some where.
Yes my little sick guy is definitely in a separate tank, the second I noticed him having trouble breathing I figured that it had to be a respiratory infection and I know that they are highly contagious.
Thanks so much for the kind words. And advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.