Status
Not open for further replies.

zombietorts0624

5 Year Member

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I got two tort's from LLLreptiles without any problems tortoise supply charges more for shipping an their prices are higher

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You might try a thread ststing what you're looking for, and asking the members here for their recommendations on finding them. Just to broaden your options. There are many breeders here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
You might try a thread ststing what you're looking for, and asking the members here for their recommendations on finding them. Just to broaden your options. There are many breeders here.

This is very good advice.

I also wanted to add that price should never be a determining factor in acquiring a new baby tortoise. If you end up with a pyramided mess after a few years, you aren't going to care one bit about a few bucks one way or the other. Seriously, I would pay $100 more per tort, if I could be sure that they would grow up healthy and smooth. Really think about it. 10 years from now are you going to miss 50 bucks? Now, by contrast, if everyday for years on end if you have to feed a horribly pyramided tortoise, or if it dies (happens all the time, and I think most of the time its because of what happened before the buyer even got the tortoise) is that going to matter? It matters to me.

The first few weeks of a torts life are the most critical. What happens during these first few weeks, literally sets the course for the rest of that torts life. My main criterion for selecting who to buy a tortoise from is the care that it has received before I get it. Another criterion is finding one locally, so that I don't have to ship a hatchling. Shipping is a necessary evil sometimes, but I avoid it whenever possible.

BTW, I like both of the companies that you mentioned above and they are both personal friends of mine.

zombietorts0624

5 Year Member
Tom said:
yagyujubei said:

This is very good advice.

I also wanted to add that price should never be a determining factor in acquiring a new baby tortoise. If you end up with a pyramided mess after a few years, you aren't going to care one bit about a few bucks one way or the other. Seriously, I would pay $100 more per tort, if I could be sure that they would grow up healthy and smooth. Really think about it. 10 years from now are you going to miss 50 bucks? Now, by contrast, if everyday for years on end if you have to feed a horribly pyramided tortoise, or if it dies (happens all the time, and I think most of the time its because of what happened before the buyer even got the tortoise) is that going to matter? It matters to me.

The first few weeks of a torts life are the most critical. What happens during these first few weeks, literally sets the course for the rest of that torts life. My main criterion for selecting who to buy a tortoise from is the care that it has received before I get it. Another criterion is finding one locally, so that I don't have to ship a hatchling. Shipping is a necessary evil sometimes, but I avoid it whenever possible.

BTW, I like both of the companies that you mentioned above and they are both personal friends of mine.

Yeah, money means nothing.The only reason i said that is because i hadnt yet heard anything about these vendors and i didnt want to dish out that kind of money and recieve a hatchling that lives 3 days (not saying theirs would). I've already stated in a previous thread that i may be getting a burmese black (from tortoisesupply) which is 450 on their site and probably 2 russians. I already own a horribly pyramided tortoise I rescued from a pet shelter my friend owns she was kept in horrid conditions ive had her for 2 years now and im almost sure if she hadn't came into my hands she would be dead. I also own a redfoot which i consider a rescue. I got it from a terrible pet shot. Kept on alfalfa pellots with 2 sulcata juvies with no lid for humidity. Until i joined this forum i didnt realize the importance of the first 3 years and humidity i think thats a really interesting concept and i will be using that on my next few torts thanks for the opinions guys and if i find somebody is selling burmese black babies ( i cant find them for sale anywhere but tortoisesupply) i would deffinatly pick one up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm in Central California. The two hatchlings I bought from him arrived alive and well, and ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.