Keeping Burmese Mountain Torts in Groups?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Yes. Both my black,brown and impressed do tend to be better together. As long as the family(what I refer to the groups as) is established. There will always be an alpha male and second, third and so on. If two alpha ales are together there can be some battles between the two. But I have never noticed any issues ever. They eat better and become moreexploitative off one another. They are very intelligent. When one "sees" something the others have to investigate it as well. I also believe this behavior establishes a safty net for nesting females. The group offers security to the immediate location where kept.

Also I'm speaking of adults here. Young tend to do fine together still.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Yes. Both my black,brown and impressed do tend to be better together. As long as the family(what I refer to the groups as) is established. There will always be an alpha male and second, third and so on. If two alpha ales are together there can be some battles between the two. But I have never noticed any issues ever. They eat better and become moreexploitative off one another. They are very intelligent. When one "sees" something the others have to investigate it as well. I also believe this behavior establishes a safty net for nesting females. The group offers security to the immediate location where kept.

Also I'm speaking of adults here. Young tend to do fine together still.
.....I have found groups to be a disaster during nesting and interferer so much as to make the laying female leave the nest and dribble the eggs out and they get stepped on or start another nest site in not so good areas. They others will inevitably dig up any eggs that are laid. You can remove the others or better build a temp fenced off area around the nesting site. Make it big enough for them to backsweep a large area and place a shallow water pond. (4x4's in a square on the ground then lay a pond liner over that. It takes minutes to instal/take down.) emysbreeder

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have had the same experience as Vic. My Mep group is 1.2 and the Mee group is 1.3. When one of the females is nesting, I have to make a temporary pen someplace else and move everyone out of the nesting yard or they all interfere with the nesting.

When there is no nesting going on, the tortoises all get along fine, but once a female starts to get into nesting mode, she fights and turns over anyone she comes across.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Guess my female has the boys in check. Never had an issue when she lays. She will protect her nest for sure though once they're laid.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
The zoo I interned for has a 2.4 group that does great but they did separate the ladies out for nesting

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have had the same experience as Vic. My Mep group is 1.2 and the Mee group is 1.3. When one of the females is nesting, I have to make a temporary pen someplace else and move everyone out of the nesting yard or they all interfere with the nesting.

When there is no nesting going on, the tortoises all get along fine, but once a female starts to get into nesting mode, she fights and turns over anyone she comes across.

Yah know I gave this some more thought. Especially after big mama laid a clutch of eggs in early July. She still had no issues with the others being in the enclosure. Matter of fact she buried little papa, the smallest male in with all of them. He is a 8 year old f1 specimen. I think perhaps my differing experience between you Yvonne and Vic, is that I only have one true mature male in with the mature female. The other 2 males are 8 and 7 years old. Yes they breed like crazy(at least give good juvenile attempts too) but I know for sure they don't quite know what they are doing. I'd imagine with your very mature specimens along with Vic's is the differentiating element in differences here. Has to be. Because the hierarchy is not established because it doesn't need to be. A 35+ year old male and a 40-50 year old female don't have to stress or establish dominance with the young wee specimen males. It's already a known order I would presume. Just pure theoretical and speculation on my part. But that sure would add some serious answers to the whole ordeal I think.