Juvenile sulcata indoor enclosure.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
Suggestions appreciated. What I have so far is pretty basic. Before building this I tested how well I could heat and maintain humidity in this room. Keeping it at 80 degrees is no problem I can maintain warmer if need be. Humidity stays relatively high 75%-85%. I'm running a humidifier and also have a large turtle land tub in the room. 160 watt solar glo mvb. 100 watt Che over top of the hide box with a gallon bucket of water hanging from the ceiling of the hide. I think with heat and lighting I'm doing ok. Maybe add a uvb fluorescent tube along the long back wall for added uvb if it's necessary. I'm lost with what to do with the floor. Leave it bare plywood? Inside the hide I will use orchard grass hay for a bit of padding. Also anything else I should do. Very much appreciated. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452654347.254884.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452654362.410681.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452654373.632890.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452654384.638316.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is similar to what I did for my Leopards. I put insulation then rock board on the floor and plywood on top of that as a floating floor so I can replace pieces as needed. I use Aspen wood chips for absorbing some mess, and just to give a bit of traction.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Thank you! Yeah the outlets are permanently there. A plastic box will cover them up. The plywood could have covered them but I need to use them.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you! Yeah the outlets are permanently there. A plastic box will cover them up. The plywood could have covered them but I need to use them.
I would suggest a very strong box that covers the outlet and cord. Run a power strip up and put it higher. Remember the floor is colder than ambient. I use a Kane mat in my hides. Looks good and is a nice size. He is a cutie.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
There is a reptile expo in my town this weekend. I will put that on the list of things to look for. Also I was going to put a small ceiling fan up to help push the heat down. Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to paint it. Drylok might work.

I think in a year or two you will wish you had used plywood.

Orchid bark would work well as a substrate. It can be bought in bulk at any garden center.

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
Thank you Tom. I think you are right. I had a bunch of sheathing laying around so I thought I would just use that.