Just wondering (about hibernation)

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Reading many threads, not only here, but on my local reptile forum and others here and there on DT brumation, is there a true best or better way to brumate our DT's? Meaning, in my opinion, I believe all natural is best. Let them slow down and stop eating on there own, let them "go down" on their own and let them come out on their own based on natural environmental conditions. Its purely an inquiry and opinion seeking post. Not meant to cause heated feelings or response toward myself or anybody else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Just wondering

Because my desert tortoise's and Texas tortoise's houses are pretty secure and dry even in the rain, I allow them to hibernate/brumate on their own without any intervention from me. All I do is pack the houses with dried leaves in the Fall and, once they're all inside and don't come out during the day to sun, I'll block the doors and pile up more leaves. When the danger of frost is past, I unblock the doors and they come out when they're ready. At that time, I will have their waterers cleaned out and fresh water added so they can drink when they're ready.

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
I second the vote for all natural and to not sweat the small stuff, poking, proding and fussing over them. Mine has been going natural, although at one point natural for him was crawling into a garage, for quite a while. He has hibernated underneath a sidewalk, in a cabinet outside, boxes in garage, underneath a hot water heater, half buried in a flower bed and inside an above ground burrow. After 50 years, whom am I to knock his wild style.

My sister has had hers for over 20 years and has always done it natural where they hibernate in their own dug underground burrow.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses!! Seems to me that natural would be better, but thats just how my head works. I am in absolute no way knocking anybody who places their DT's in brumation then waking them up. I guess my question is (and thought) isnt the potential there for getting them out of whack (so to speak). For example, this has been a freaky warm winter here in AZ and have heard of almost 4 times the DT sightings in the wild than usual, as well has mine has been out much more than normal and didnt really have a true good brumation period. To me, that is nature saying, hey we are warmer this winter, you guys do not need to stay snoozing for all 4-5 months. Letting them adapt to each winters condition rather than placing them in at a certain time and waking them up at a certain time, what if they are not ready physiologically environmentally, etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's the problem with doing it "all natural". Its not.

There is nothing in your backyard that resembles miles of open desert. There is nothing in a 3' deep burrow in an irrigated backyard that imitates "natural". There is nothing about an above ground shed or wooden box that is "natural". There is nothing about a captive DTs diet, hydration routine, enclosure size, or temperatures that is "natural".

The situation that we have moved these animals into is decidedly unnatural. In some ways for the better in my opinion. This being the case, I think it is reasonable to help them or offer safer and better conditions to them, rather than sticking them in a yard, letting them fend for themselves, and hoping for the best. Many have died this way. I don't know of a single one that has died with some basic, captive, unnatural help.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I fully see and understand that and makes sense. Thank you for the response Tom. I just wanted to go on record as saying, obviously any reptile we own is most likely not fully natural. I guess what I am referring to is the basics like photoperiod change, weather change causing them to want to halt eating and snooze and if it gets warm (like it has been here consistently in Az very high 80's and even hit 90 a few days if I am not mistaken) letting them come out naturally to roam around get some water etc.

I am referring to trying to mimic or get as close to natural environment/micro-environment as we can for them.

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
reticguy76 said:
I fully see and understand that and makes sense. Thank you for the response Tom. I just wanted to go on record as saying, obviously any reptile we own is most likely not fully natural. I guess what I am referring to is the basics like photoperiod change, weather change causing them to want to halt eating and snooze and if it gets warm (like it has been here consistently in Az very high 80's and even hit 90 a few days if I am not mistaken) letting them come out naturally to roam around get some water etc.

I am referring to trying to mimic or get as close to natural environment/micro-environment as we can for them.

Yep. :cool:

Located in a non-irrigated, walled off section of yard, with as much native plants and materials as possible. Fortunately, I live in his natural occuring area, so mother nature helps out some with giving him a "close to natural" environment as possible.

So, Tom brings up some good points, perhaps I should say I am a fan of "as natural as possible", which most members are here. When it comes to hibernation, I feel they should hibernate and be provided with as close as possible to his natural surroundings. I let him go down and get up in his own time. Being that I live in lowland desert of AZ, I can do that.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with "all natural " but that means trust mother nature to make NO mistakes . And she sorts out the weak . So gamble .

I hope you all understand things can go wrong ImageUploadedByTortForum1394736216.994253.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: