Just some pictures of the trio.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You're doing a great job . Your leopards are growing nicely.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So im assuming the foil does help with the plastic from melting. Are you using a mercury vapor bulb and what is the wattage?

I put the foul because of sharp edges and I was unsure how the plexiglas would hand heat, it's held up really well.

I was using a 100w mvb but I thought it may have been too hot for my dark Leo, since the dark carapace will get hotter and hold heat longer, so I ditched it and went with natural sunlight instead. I use a 60w incandescent bulb for light and warmth, and a 60w CHE in the other end.
The chamber is very stable. Impressively so. I never have to add water, EVER, now that I am not using a mvb. Using a mvb seemed to really dry out the air and I was having to mist the chamber and torts several times a day.
The humidity in the chamber is always 93-99 on the CHE end and 86+ in the other end. Too bad I can't find a plastic tote 4x this size LOL.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
This is their outdoor sunshine enclosure. It's not real big while they are still small but someday they will get the whole yard.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401247693.839666.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401247868.139157.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401247895.888578.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401247920.172229.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401247957.539224.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I was actually look at this one mercury vapor bulb that is being sold in Big Apply Pet Supply. It is a 70 watt mercury vapor bulb. I dont know how well it is yet but I'll let you know once i find out. This 60w incandescent bulb, does i have UVB? and what brand are you using? That sounds a lot more interesting actually.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I was actually look at this one mercury vapor bulb that is being sold in Big Apply Pet Supply. It is a 70 watt mercury vapor bulb. I dont know how well it is yet but I'll let you know once i find out. This 60w incandescent bulb, does i have UVB? and what brand are you using? That sounds a lot more interesting actually.

I just use cheap target brand. I do have a big box of Phillips brand but it'll be a while before I have to crack into those. They don't emit any UVB. They get their UVB from going outside most days for an hour or two so I don't worry about it inside while it's nice. Now certain winter...I'll have to find an indoor UVB solution again. I'll probably use tube bulbs since it won't increase over all heat or reduce humidity like the mvb did.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I live where it's warm to hot most of the year and sunshine is usually plentiful. (South Texas)

Elohi(Earth)

mikeh

5 Year Member

70watt MVB is a gimmick. Its actually 140watt and runs very HOT!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
>.< LUCKY! Stupid San Francisco weather! I have to keep my hatchlings indoors for awhile because of my work schedule. My adults can handle the temp change quit well but im afraid for my hatchlings being out side and i dont get home until 11 pm where it does get freakin cold! Our temp drops to 55-58ish at night. My adult greeks can handle the cold with the night box. Also during the day my cold frame makes up the heat up to 80-90 degrees so thats good for them. I dont know how the hatchlings will adapt so i rather be safe than sorry. Lucky i have a UVB light strip in stock but i really do want to try out that 70 watt mercury vapor bulb first just so im not running 2 lights during the day.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
That was the one i planned on getting too =( Got me all excited.