My red foot lays for the first time

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi guys, I have 4 red foot tortoise, my vet said that they are 4 male, but probably he was wrong since I ve found 2 eggs in the internal enclosure, so due to the unexpected event I m completely unprepared and I don't know what I have to do, can I ve some advice please? I'm going to build the incubator, do you know if for the successfully reproduction they need season cycling?
Thanks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Put the eggs in a tub of moist vermiculite. Then place tub in the incubator, I'd aim for 83/84f(28.5°c) and 80% humidity.
To get your vermiculite with the right moisture level, you want to add the same amount of water as vermiculite in weight and mix it up.
To control the humidity add another 1 or 2 tubs to the incubator with just water in.
Should hatch from 120days onwards. I had some hatch on day 117.

Show us some photos of the plastron around the tail area of your torts to see if we can sex them for you.

Good luck.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
I have Already started a discussion to ask the sex but was difficult to understand the gender, I have another question, in your opinion the tortoise could have other eggs inside? Because I've found only two eggs and it wasn't even buried do you have any explanation?
Thank

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
2 of the reasons for dropping eggs on the surface are inadequate nesting sites, and young tortoises, a couple of mine that laid for the first time dropped 1 or 2 eggs on the surface, these were duds.
So If it's her first time laying she may only have the 2 eggs or she may have some more to come.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
I m going to build a deposition site in the enclosure another question the egg's shell seems to be too thin, what do you think? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479499064.539106.jpg

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
You are very helpful thanks again, so can you give an opinion about their sex?
1 the yellow footImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479546354.906163.jpg
2 red foot ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479546514.567575.jpg
3 red foot ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479546550.453688.jpg

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Sadly I can't take better pictures because I m study in another region, my parents take care of them now I going to install camera to check better the situation I'll take you update
Thanks a lot
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Is-this-his-penis?.123163/
In this tread we already discussed about cherry's sex so I guess that the female is the "8 shaped" yellow foot it's a pity I would have to keep a pure line.

Last edited:

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
i was wondering if she had other egg, considering that her weight is about 3,5-4kg and when should be the next deposition thanks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I thought that redfoot was male at 1st, but the shape of the tail looks female, but that could be the photo angle.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
can you link me a discussion with some information about red foot breed?
thanks

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
to be honest i mean breeding(information about number of eggs for year, distance between two clutch, incubator settings % of fertility ) sorry for my bad english

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
to be honest i mean breeding(information about number of eggs for year, distance between two clutch, incubator settings % of fertility ) sorry for my bad english
Number of eggs varies for different females. Some of mine lay 4 to 6 eggs. One lays 9 to 10 eggs per clutch.

Fertility increases as they get older assuming the male is up to the task.

Distance between clutches also varies. one of mine is around 45 days between clutches, another is around around 35 days. It seems 3 or 4 consecutive clutches is the norm.
I'm still new at this.

@allegraf, @cdmay, @N2TORTS,
@Redfoot NERD, and @tortadise have decades of breeding experience between them.