Juliets new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlyn

5 Year Member
I had some time today so I decided to make a turtle table. It's 5 ft X 3 ft X 1 ft. On my cell so I sorry for the lack of info but I think wanted to show it off!

Attachments

• IMAG0706.jpg
    IMAG0706.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0710.jpg
    IMAG0710.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0719.jpg
    IMAG0719.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0722.jpg
    IMAG0722.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 139

Merlyn

5 Year Member
Thanks, I'm in the process of staining the wood and sealing it. For the bottom I used truck bed liner on MDF board. All in all of I'm really happy with it. Way bigger and better than anything I found online or in store that I could buy.

Btw, Juliet is a russian so she'll have plenty of room (I hope)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Really nice! That truck bed liner really seems like the way to go. Are you planning to cap the corners? You know those Russians!

Merlyn

5 Year Member
For those that care I ended up getting a can of this:

99984812_dpl_baq2010_pri_larg.jpg

For the entire inside (and not just the bottom). The table is at my girlfriends so I won't have a chance to work on it again till next weekend. The truck bed liner should seal the entire inside against any moisture getting into the wood. I'm in the process of staining the exterior and will be applying a varnish which is suppose to be good against water so all in all the table should hold up for a while.

For those that care the materials / costs were as follows:

2 - 5' x 1' Boards
3 - 2' 10.5" x 1' Boards (1 was warped so it was $1.10)
1 - 5' x 3' Medium-density fibreboard (MDF)
1 Box of fine thread drywall screws (1 3/8")

Total: $55.00

From there I picked up another box of fine thread drywall screws at 2" cause I tapped too deep in some areas of the wood (I'd recommend 2" from the beginning)

The truck bed liner spray can was $18~ for the bottom. The paint can was $32 so it can get expensive.

If I had to start again I'd just get the paint can which would be more than enough to cover everything.

I also spent money on the stain but that's entirely for visual appeal.

Either way you can get away with $55 and a liner, but I went to greater lengths to protect the wood so I didn't have any mold or damage occurring.

I've been debating what I could do in the future to upgrade the table and am thinking a second level above her permanent hide that will be for basking.

I'll report back once Juliet is in the table

Merlyn

5 Year Member
I just got Juliet moved into her new home last night, these are a few photos I was able to snap.

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0738.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, it was late and as you can see she was already asleep.

EP429

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
Read up on the coil-bulb, I've seen lots of reviews noting bad results, including eye swelling. Might not be the case for everyone, but a little information never hurts :)

Merlyn

5 Year Member
EP429 said:
Read up on the coil-bulb, I've seen lots of reviews noting bad results, including eye swelling. Might not be the case for everyone, but a little information never hurts :)

Thank you for the heads up! I hadn't heard anything one way or another and I knew CFL's were the new way (I guess LED is now too) so I went that route. I'll definitely look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.