Jack's entension...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

5 Year Member
jack\'s extension 004.JPGjack\'s extension 003.JPGjack\'s extension 002.JPGjack\'s extension 001.JPGSo, we know bigger is always better.....so we biult an extension to Jack's enclosure which we plan to use as his garden area. I'll be planting russian tortoise seed mix from Carolina's in the garden box when it arrives. I wonder if we need a grow light in the extra box or if he window is sufficient for the plants to grow? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow! Very nice. That really expands the floor space for your tortoise. The seeds won't need any extra light to sprout, but bear in mind that outside plants don't do well indoors, and the UVB light we use for our tortoises isn't the right kind of UV for plants.

Dawn

5 Year Member
We were thinking of putting an 18in. florescent 'plant grow light' in for the plants. Jack has a basking area in the main enclosure w\ a 100w. MVB bulb (on it's way). So, I think that should be fine just for the plant growth.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Very creative. I've planted ferns, wild grass, and kale in my indoor enclosures and have been very successful with the grow lights. The biggest issue you might have is overwatering.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Do the grow light affect the torts at all? What kind of ferns? That would be pretty. I thought most were toxic.

Very col extention!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very creative, I love it! Would love to do something like that for my Russian!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's awesome. I love it. It like a tortoise Habitrail...

Dawn

5 Year Member
My husband is still thinking of other extensions to put on it. More pics when he finishes. I can't wait for the plant mix to arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.