It's flower food Friday PIC HEAVY

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Been getting lots of hibiscus flowers recently. These guys just love em.
Little forsteni love em
image.jpg
Doesn't take them long to finish either.
image.jpg
Chaco chacos
image.jpg
The stare of "yeah I'm pigging out, so what" lol
image.jpg
South Africans love them.
Lobatse Hingeback
image.jpg
Angulated
image.jpg

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
So cute! what type of hibiscus do you have? are there any that are perennial? I love in zone 8a and have been looking for one

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
We have 3 species actually
Majority of the mass producing blooms are the one in the photo, hibiscus syriacus I believe is the Latin name. They are native to North America very cold tolerant. The others we have are Asian, and Hawaiian giant. The Hawaian don't bloom as much but when they do the flowers are huge. Those are not cold resistant at all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
@kathyth @ShadowRancher

These I planted last spring and bloom quite a bit during the summer. There still really young. When they came in they were like 10" plants and now are a littler taller than 4' now.
Dog not included haha.
image.jpg
Every morning from 2 plants only 2 years old. But they even bloomed last year during there first summer. I also have another variety that blooms like crazy too.
image.jpg
Every ounce in a while you can find big ones at nurseries. But there always expensive 3-4' tall plants. Burgess is pretty cheap, some may not make it but it's totally worth it.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
The flowers are gorgeous and it sounds like the way to go! Why not pay less?
I will order from them, in the beginning of spring.
Now, let's talk about that cute dog :) :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The flowers are gorgeous and it sounds like the way to go! Why not pay less?
I will order from them, in the beginning of spring.
Now, let's talk about that cute dog :) :)
Haha. Otis he's a great dog. Was abandoned in a ditch when a puppy. I never had to potty train him or anything. He was 9weeks old when I got him. Super awesome dog. He's stubborn like the beagle he has in him.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My hibiscus have been blooming like crazy too. The reds split a flower this morning but your guy got 6 and plowed through them in no time flat.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409361035.946397.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409361052.443369.jpg

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I order lots of my plants from burgess. They send catalogs to the house and you get small already started plantlings. Very very cheap too.

Here's the rose of Sharon you can order from them.
http://www.eburgess.com/search.asp?zoom_sort=0&zoom_query=Hibiscus&zoom_per_page=10&zoom_and=1

Holy poop, Kelly.. $3.99 for SIX hibiscus moscheutos? Do you know how large they are when shipped? I'm guessing 4" pot sized plants. Do they ship them bare root? I didn't see any details listed on that site. Geez.. that price is madness. I've bought 20 seeds of that plant for about the same price once, but to have 6 of them already well started for $4 seems worth the price of shipping.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Holy poop, Kelly.. $3.99 for SIX hibiscus moscheutos? Do you know how large they are when shipped? I'm guessing 4" pot sized plants. Do they ship them bare root? I didn't see any details listed on that site. Geez.. that price is madness. I've bought 20 seeds of that plant for about the same price once, but to have 6 of them already well started for $4 seems worth the price of shipping.
They are about. 4" plants yea. They come with a little soil in a bag around the roots.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Kelly.... Would you mention some the plants that you purchase for tortoise enclosures ( outdoors)?
Thanks! :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok Mr. Kelly ........*Score* .....I went to a plant auction this am on the Newport/Huntington Coast...Anyhow a super cool place " Tropical Vibe" ....and Woooo ZEEE...check these Hibiscus out!
aka " Spin the Bottle" - flowers name

Well I picked up two of them ........so .........check your PM's~
JD~;)

*No Flash

*Flash