Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=1nwwghbf.5htvpz1j&x=0&h=1&y=-lcylka

(when you click on the link, then click "view slideshow"; you don't have to sign in to see the pics!)

You'll have to look through a few pics of the four torties that moved into the space today to see the pics of the enclosure. The other four (the bigger ones) will move in later tomorrow after the little ones have a day to adjust.

What do you think? (Oh I don't have all the lights up yet... was just enough basking to keep these four comfortable today).

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Looks good Kelly, they should all be very happy. Looks like a fun setup with lots for them to explore and do. :)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
THanks! Actually the main section is 50/50 sand/Bed-A-Brick, and then the "box" section is just Bed-a-Brick.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Good job Kelly - looks like they have lots of room to roam. Is it on wood and then the floor or directly on the concrete? Hard to tell. Are you putting all of your Russians in there?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
the whole floor is covered with a tarp. part of it has plywood on top (for the eating area) - I'm sure I'll have to replace this plywood as it gets soiled but that's no biggy. Anyways the rest of the tarp is covered with substrate or hay, depending on the area.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh and yes, all of the Russians EXCEPT of course Vanya who will be on quarantine for a few months at least.

Of course if the three boys are bullying each other or the little girls, some one may need to be moved... I'm not worried about the big girls, they can hold their own! but the rest, we'll wait and see how they do!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
That will be nice to have them all in one spot.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yes I think it will! It will cut "daily maintenance" time down a little, instead of having to spot clean, mist (if needed), change water and put everything back into it's proper place (since they LOVE to re-arrange) in three different enclosures, it'll just be all in one spot!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That looks great! They have lots of room to roam. They do look very happy.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Looks GREAT!! They all look like they like it so far!!:p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly, I am definitely jeaulous. What a wonderful big enclosure you've made for them. Its great and I loved the pics. Keep them comming.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just a quick question, those are Russian tort's correct?
Im trying to learn more about different species.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
that is a crazy set up! Thats bigger than my bedroom haha.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
They are TOTALLY loving it! And each tortoise has an area that he or she prefers! I have that deep box for digging/burrowing, and El & Hurley are ALWAYS buried in there! Varda, Carmine, Mithril and Roland prefer to burrow into the deep hay area. Billy mostly hangs around by the basking area and sleeps in the hide near that area at night. Calypso chooses a different spot almost every night, I guess she gets bored easily!

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
cvalda said:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=1nwwghbf.5htvpz1j&x=0&h=1&y=-lcylka

<br>
I really like the different areas that they have to explore and the size. I think it will keep your beautiful torts very happy.

Be careful of just clamping lights to sides of enclosure. It there is a way to securely hang them from above with chain you'll have a safer environment, especially if your going to put one over the hay.

Misty
5 Sulcata's
3 Leopard's
3 Indian Star's

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I've slowly been expanding this... it's almost 7' wide now, and a bit longer... it probably doesn't look much different than the first pics (to you guys) but it seems so much larger in person!

This is the main section (50/50 bed a brick/sand, with plywood for the eating area):
103_5308.jpg

This is the hay section (to the right of the main section), a part of that is just empty... I ran out of vinyl so threw some bin lids on the ground as a temporary fix... one of them has a ton of calcium carbonate dumped on it; some of the girls go over there for a breather or a cool down, actually...
103_5304.jpg

this is to the bottom left of the main section... an extra little "nook" with cypress mulch and another basking lamp (just to give them a little variance), and their deep digging box (oops, you can tell I only "watered" half of it! LOL) which also has a basking lamp - usually I keep 2/3rds of this box covered with rubbermaid bin lids (except where the light is)...
103_5307.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.