Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. I see you are one of our junior members so an extra welcome for that :)

What type of tortoise is Amiko?

Babies do sleep a lot which is fine. Sleeping can also be a sign that the temperatures are too cool for your tortoise to be properly active too though.

What are the 4 important temperatures? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

gukaguka21

Hello and welcome. I see you are one of our junior members so an extra welcome for that :)

What type of tortoise is Amiko?

Babies do sleep a lot which is fine. Sleeping can also be a sign that the temperatures are too cool for your tortoise to be properly active too though.

What are the 4 important temperatures? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.
thenks :) i actually dont know what type of tortoise is Amiko :/ is it a problem? i have a question: i want him to sleep in winter because they do it in nature! i have read thet if tortoise sleeps in winter it will be nice for him! is it true?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
thenks :) i actually dont know what type of tortoise is Amiko :/ is it a problem? i have a question: i want him to sleep in winter because they do it in nature! i have read thet if tortoise sleeps in winter it will be nice for him! is it true?
It is a problem because not all species of tortoise can hibernate - sleep for the winter.

If he is not a species that can hibernate he could die.

If you post photographs of Amiko we can tell you what species he is and whether he can hibernate. We need pictures of the shell and head and also of the underside of your tortoise including the tail.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
There isn't a law that says a tort has to sleep in the winter in captivity! In the wild there is less food so they sleep as you say !