Is tortoisesupply a good breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Gee, all I got when I bought a hatchling tort from Underground Reptiles that died, was 10% off my next purchase, which I won't use.

I'm sorry though, I know it's disappointing.:(

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
I am sincerely sorry for your losses -- it's always difficult when we lose our creature friends.

As for Tortise supply, they are kinda my go-to-people because they have always been top notch in any dealings I have had with them. Prompt, professional, knowledgeable, helpful....the list goes on.

again, sorry for your losses.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss I know even on day 1 these little ones find their way in our hearts and it's heartbreaking when they pass.I don't know the details as to the passing of both of these babies but I do feel your pain and extend my condolences.

As far as Tyler as a breeder I wouldn't go anywhere else.Both Bowser and Peach are from Tyler and he was more then helpful with getting my torts adjusted.He not only answered my every email but dealt with my "newbie" questions as well which I appreciate :) Best thing I can tell you is ask ask ask as many questions as you need to about everything you do until you feel comfortable with keeping a tortoise then when the time is right try again. I of course mean no offense but sometimes its simply our knowledge or supposed knowledge that falters with these little guys.I learned first hand here that just because we think we know something doesnt mean we should stop learning. :) Best of luck to you

Hardknox

5 Year Member
Hello,
I would like to preface my post by saying I am relatively new to keeping torts however what I am about to explain is a very general husbandry lesson more keepers need to learn especially for animals with hydration demands. I have a hatchling Hermann who is doing splendidly. However I also keep various geckos, frogs and I keep black tree monitors. I am also a doctoral biophysicist and my girlfriend who also keeps these reptiles with me is a physiologist specializing in reptiles and amphibians. This phenomenon is one I recently explained on another forum in regard to monitor lizards with demanding hydration concerns (like my black tree monitors) and I am going to copy and paste parts of my post on those forums. The topic of the explanation is how animals kept in HIGH humidity can still be getting dehydrated.

"I would consider dehydrating conditions anytime water leaves surfaces and diffuses into the air extremely quickly as a result of too much air exchange. The hotter the air the more water it can hold so hot air at the surfaces picks up water and rises, then goes out to be replaced by cool dry air from outside the cage which is then warmed and pulls more water from the surfaces until the cage enters a cycle of evaporation. Under those circumstances regular mistings will keep humidity high but still dehydrate the animals because just like water leaves surfaces rapidly it will evaporate from their skin quickly. "

There is a certain balance between temperature, humidity and air flow that needs to be maintained or your animal will dehydrate quickly. Also this type of dehydration can only so much be bandaided by soakings and offering water bowls. There is no substitute to a proper balance of the habitat. This type of thing also must be even more closely monitored if you live in a place like New York City where you may be running a furnace or radiator a lot during parts of the year which in turn dries out the air even more. I would also suggest having a few areas in the 70s he can access. They generally will not use them much but its good to give them proper choices.

Now your Greek (and my Hermann) even as hatchlings do not quite have the same demands as something like tree monitors. However they especially need humid retreats. People sometimes forget even some of these dry climate tortoises still retreat to borrows and hides at night and when their needs are met to hide from daytime predators (baby torts are excellent prey). Even in some dry/hot climates if you dig down a little ways you can find a cool very moist place to hide. I cannot speak for Greeks specifically but they are "similar" in care to Hermanns and I know my baby Hermanns dug a borrow INSIDE of his humid hide and remains completely covered in moist (not wet) sand/soil/peat moss mix which holds his borrow very well which is then topped with a thin layer of long fiber spanghum moss. Outside where he walks about and basks/feeds/drinks humidity stays between 45-55% WITHOUT me misting.

I am not saying this is what happened, I am however saying based on what you have described this is my personal best guess as to the problem. I am sorry for your loss. I would also add one last thing. The quality of vet training in regard to herps and their general knowledge of herps and current herp care can be highly variable. There are many herp vets out there that are amazing but there are also some that barely know more than an average newbie who can use google (I exaggerate but you get the point) so make sure you check the expertise of your vet of choice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Hardknox":

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.