Is tortoisesupply a good breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Im really pleased with there customer service and kindness, but im not sure if they are good as a breeder. First time I got a baby golden greek from them it died within 7 days. So i asked them for another one and i received a black greek tortoise, at first it was doing so good but after about a month it suddenly got sick and it couldnt even move but sleeps all day.So i took it to a vet and did some exmination. They asked about my inclosure and diet for them. I also asked so many questions on tortoise forum but there seems to be no problems. What my vet told me today is that theres a little stone under my tortoise belly which is not supposed to be there. They said it could be a infection and my breeder possibly sent me a sick one. So i asked how much the cost would be and it was actually more than 600 dollars....... I could not afford it and there is so low chances it would survive since its a baby. So they suggested me to put it asleep.......... Im really depressed that it died and so angry that why im having this issues with this breeders. I did so many researches about my tortoise. I went to so many websites and blogs to study my tortoise. I spent about at least 250 for habitat, i dont think theres a reason why tortoise i bought them is keep getting sick.

Thank you guys who helped me and others on this blog. I really appreciate for the help and care. Im really pleased with your kindness. Thank you guys!

rip to my black greek tortoise woodi.

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm sorry to hear abou your first tort:( also to hear that your second tort is sick. In my opinion, certain sites that sell numbers of torts may not be the best place. After being a member of this site for months, I would go with one of the breeders from this site. Maybe I am wrong in saying this, but to me those sites seem like back yard breeders for torts and turtles.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Just so you know I am pretty sure the owner of that website is on the forum.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:( Sorry for your loss.

:tort: Do not be surprised if this thread is relocated or removed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler at tortoisesupply.com is a friend of mine. He is a very reputable business person and takes excellent care of his animals. I've seen first hand how he does business, and he is top notch in every way.

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. I would not expect that from Tyler. I hope that it all works out. You asked for opinions about them as a breeder and everything I have seen and heard from everyone who has dealt with them has been positive.

Oh, there is one exception. Maggie was not happy with the size of the cypress mulch pieces that Tyler sold to her. But every other customer of theirs that I have heard of has been happy with them.

And Laramie, you know that I love you, but I (emphasis on "I") am a "backyard breeder". Tyler is a true professional with a professional operation.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Hatchlings are heartbreakers... :-( So sorry....
when you are ready.. start with a older one.. 1-2 years..
And really take a good look at your home and area.. is it possible there is something being used in the home that is toxic? cleaner? air freshener? Lysol??

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Tyler at tortoisesupply.com is a friend of mine. He is a very reputable business person and takes excellent care of his animals. I've seen first hand how he does business, and he is top notch in every way.

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. I would not expect that from Tyler. I hope that it all works out. You asked for opinions about them as a breeder and everything I have seen and heard from everyone who has dealt with them has been positive.

Oh, there is one exception. Maggie was not happy with the size of the cypress mulch pieces that Tyler sold to her. But every other customer of theirs that I have heard of has been happy with them.

And Laramie, you know that I love you, but I (emphasis on "I") am a "backyard breeder". Tyler is a true professional with a professional operation.

I understand.. Im very pleased with tyler because they kindly respond to all my questions and stuff. I know that babies are more fatal then adult. All this incidents makes me so depressed when vet and other breeders saying that theres nothing wrong with my habitat. Juss feel sorry for the little ones

Laura said:
Hatchlings are heartbreakers... :-( So sorry....
when you are ready.. start with a older one.. 1-2 years..
And really take a good look at your home and area.. is it possible there is something being used in the home that is toxic? cleaner? air freshener? Lysol??

I never used anything toxic. I even used bottle water. Ya i should get juvenille ones.

ewam said:
Just so you know I am pretty sure the owner of that website is on the forum.

Im not trying to criticize or anything.

ALDABRAMAN said:
:( Sorry for your loss.

:tort: Do not be surprised if this thread is relocated or removed.

Ya thank you

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
People can suggest all that they want about a breeder. Lots of folks can have all great experiences with a breeder. However, nothing speaks volume better than a personal experience. I do not know this particular breeder, therefore I have no personal opinion.

I do know that if I had to bad experiences, I likely would not make it a third.

I would say that if there comes a time that you find yourself with another tortoise, one a bit older will help assure their hardiness... I am so very sad for you and I hope you find a place of peace in the fact that you did not harm the little ones, your set up was bang on by all that you described here as well as what you shared with your vet. Sometimes babies just don't make it.

Rest in peace little :tort:

pk2610

5 Year Member
cyyoung749 said:
Im really pleased with there customer service and kindness, but im not sure if they are good as a breeder. First time I got a baby golden greek from them it died within 7 days. So i asked them for another one and i received a black greek tortoise, at first it was doing so good but after about a month it suddenly got sick and it couldnt even move but sleeps all day.So i took it to a vet and did some exmination. They asked about my inclosure and diet for them. I also asked so many questions on tortoise forum but there seems to be no problems. What my vet told me today is that theres a little stone under my tortoise belly which is not supposed to be there. They said it could be a infection and my breeder possibly sent me a sick one. So i asked how much the cost would be and it was actually more than 600 dollars....... I could not afford it and there is so low chances it would survive since its a baby. So they suggested me to put it asleep.......... Im really depressed that it died and so angry that why im having this issues with this breeders. I did so many researches about my tortoise. I went to so many websites and blogs to study my tortoise. I spent about at least 250 for habitat, i dont think theres a reason why tortoise i bought them is keep getting sick.

Thank you guys who helped me and others on this blog. I really appreciate for the help and care. Im really pleased with your kindness. Thank you guys!

rip to my black greek tortoise woodi.
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing two in a row is really devastated. I loss a baby sulcata a few months ago and then I've got a baby leopard from tortoisesupply.com. I have this tort for almost three months now and it has hardly gained any weight. I read other threads that their hatchlings grow so fast and have doubled the size of mine. I don't know what's wrong with him. He seems to take forever to eat a few pieces of veggies. I am not trying to blame anyone but I am thinking may be he was just too young (size of a quarter) when I've got him. Anyway, I am still fighting to help him gain some weight.

Don't give up hope. I think you've done everything you could.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Almost every reptile medical case that I see is directly linked to husbandry issues. Add a fragile baby into the equation and husbandry becomes even more crucial.

Cy...please post an accurate and detailed description of the setups you were using for each baby and let's let the TFO members take it apart and let's see if we can find out what went wrong. In order for this to work, if it can, you will need to describe the setups as they were when you first placed the baby into them, before you made any changes recommended either by Tyler, friends, veterinarians, TFO members, etc.

Doc

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I got 2 Greeks from Tyler at Tortoise Supply this April, after I had found this site but before I knew he was a member. They have done nothing but thrive since. I personally think that consumers can have bad situations happen at any businesses; how they handle those bad situations is what determines what I think of them and if I'll continue to give them my business. From what I've heard and seen, Tyler is helpful, conscientious and caring. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again.

As for your two guys, I'm very sorry for your loss. All I can suggest is to be as open as possible with us on how you took care of them, and hopefully the great Tortarians (new word!) on this site will help decipher what went wrong, so you can be successful the next time.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Hi CY,
Sorry to hear about your losses:-(

Did you hold or handle the tortoises often?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
This happens a lot with hatchlings. Some hatchlings just will not live even if everything is perfect. Some live when the conditions are bad. I have raised Tank from a hatchling and did not do things right in the early years. He was always tiny for his age. Looking back I could have lost him do to me not having things right. He had to have surgery to remove a huge stone from his bladder several months ago and I wonder did it start from my bad husbandry. I agree with above and try a yearling or adopt an older tort for your first. Then someday try a hatchling again. So sorry for your heartbreak.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Guggie said:
I got 2 Greeks from Tyler at Tortoise Supply this April, after I had found this site but before I knew he was a member. They have done nothing but thrive since. I personally think that consumers can have bad situations happen at any businesses; how they handle those bad situations is what determines what I think of them and if I'll continue to give them my business. From what I've heard and seen, Tyler is helpful, conscientious and caring. I would not hesitate to purchase from him again.

As for your two guys, I'm very sorry for your loss. All I can suggest is to be as open as possible with us on how you took care of them, and hopefully the great Tortarians (new word!) on this site will help decipher what went wrong, so you can be successful the next time.

Good post.

I'm sorry to hear about your hatchlings. As mentioned above, bad things happen sometimes in good businesses, but I have no doubt that you will receive good customer service from tortoisesupply.

It's sometimes difficult to determine the cause of the problem, especially in cases like these, but as far as Tyler not being a good breeder, I'll just say that he produces and sells a lot of tortoises; I'd go as far as saying he is one of the top breeders in terms of numbers and quality of hatchlings. This is the second time I personally have ever heard of an issue with one of his tortoises, which speaks volumes to the quality of his tortoises considering the large number he produces and sells. He has set the bar very high for us other breeders who retail/wholesale our hatchlings.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
supremelysteve said:
Hi CY,
Sorry to hear about your losses:-(

Did you hold or handle the tortoises often?

I barely hold my tortoise expect soaking in water.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I dont have any experience with tortoise supply but have never heard bad of them, and I have searched high and low on the net for reviews on all places of purchases for turtles and tortoises, so far I have ordered seven hatchlings from various commercial sites online, and so far I have had no negative experiences, of course of the seven only one is a tortoise, the rest aquatic turtles who I think are much more hardy.. Now my tortoise hatchling, a very young Sulcata who as of now and since I have had him is doing wonderful, and I love him so very much, but if I could go back I would have ordered from someone on here, particularly Tom, who's care sheet I am following and probably the reason my Sully is thriving so well.. The reason I would have rather purchased from a breeder here on the forum is to have the background info on my hatchling, and the reassurance that the hatchling was kept properly.. not only do I not know how old my Sully is I didnt know how he was housed before he come to me, although I did find that information out yesterday, my Sully was housed on alfa pellets, guessing his age based on his weight and size when I got him I know he was housed like this for up to 6 weeks maybe more hopefully less.. So having read about hatchling failure and now knowing that because of the way he was housed, there may be damage already done prior to me recieving him and that even many months from now something can go wrong no matter what I do.. So in the future I will only buy from breeders in which can provide me all the background info, and from someone who's keeping their hatchlings properly, I know if I were to have found out that Sully was kept the way Tom keeps his I would have a large piece of reassurance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thank you for the compliments. Your way of thinking about this is exactly the same as mine. I could not conceive of just buying a hatchling somewhere without knowing the history and EXACTLY how it has been raised and handled from hatching until I get it. It is not a risk I would take with out those details.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with exoticsdr on this one. If your vet told you there was a stone, that's either from hydration or the type of food being offered. I have not dealt with tortoisesupply personally, but I've heard nothing but good about him and his tortoises.

But the healthiest baby in the world isn't going to last very long if something is wrong with the care of the tortoise. Babies are fragile anyway, and you must give them almost perfect care in order for them to thrive.

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this with two babies. Its always hard when they don't thrive. It might be a better idea to get an older tortoise next time instead of a baby.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Empathy- the capacity to recognize and, to some extent, share feelings (such as sadness or happiness) that are being experienced by another...

Compassion - meaning to suffer together..

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.