Is this the first stage of shell rotting?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Is it in white color around the nail if it is falling off? And is "Reptivite" some sort of liquid that provide vitamins for turtles?

Reptivite is a powder that I mix with a small amount of water and his pellets twice a week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQB6A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I never really noticed a problem with the nails until they fell off, although it kind of looked like there was a shell of nail around his nail, if that makes sense...they sometimes fell off like they were shedding, other times broken off and bleeding.

Tortuoises

Malaysia
I have seen LOTS of turtles with shell abrasions on the plastron, and that is exactly what they look like. The problem with a shell abrasion is that is an opening for the start of shell rot, and other infections - so that is why allowing an antiseptic to go to work keeping it dry so it doesn't wash off right away is the first course of action if it is not infected yet. Snappers and Musk are prone if kept in too small a space and are spending a good deal of effort digging at a side, or corner, or trying to hide. It looks like an abrasion on the front left foot had started too also indicating that behavior. be sure you get that covered with antiseptic while you are treating.

The loss of nail could be an injury from the same constant "digging" to try to get out, and also can be indicative of a deficiency.

Tortuoises - look at the utube video linked in a post one of our members, @Anthony P made on what to feed aquatic turtles that is pinned to the top of the section on water turtles. You need to get your turtle started eating some of those pellets that is better balanced with vitamin and minerals he needs.

@maggie3fan is correct. Although I don't agree snappers are "dirty", all turtles generate a lot of poop, and the biggest problem with keeping a turtle in a tank is keeping the water clean. What type filter are you using on your tank and how often do you change the water? Again, from you picture, the tank looks way too small for a snapping turtle and will be very hard to keep clean. Many turtle keepers also take their turtles out and put them into a separate tub for feeding.
I will change the tank once it gets a little bigger. I change the water 2 weeks a time because of the presence of filter. I am not sure what kind of filter is that, the brand of it is kinston and it's old too. It can only be used with small aquarium. And thanks for the tips for separating the turtle from its tank while feeding, will try that out, but I am feeding him with live fish, it don't eat dead fish. If i try that, then it will be alone and boring itself in the tank.

Tortuoises

Malaysia
Reptivite is a powder that I mix with a small amount of water and his pellets twice a week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQB6A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I never really noticed a problem with the nails until they fell off, although it kind of looked like there was a shell of nail around his nail, if that makes sense...they sometimes fell off like they were shedding, other times broken off and bleeding.
Thank you for the suggestion. But I don't see it bleeding, maybe it is normal, I hope so.

Tortuoises

Malaysia
Looks to me like the water is not clean enough. Snappers are dirty and poop a lot. To me, those look like ulcers from dirty water not abrasions....
How big is his container? How big is he?
HI. It is 8.5 cm long without its tail. I don't know how big is my tank, but my prediction is that it is a 10-15 gallon tank. Don't worry I'll definitely change it to a bigger one once it gets a little bigger. I used this tank because it was small when i owned it. Very small. Yeah it is ulcer, but now it's recovering.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I will change the tank once it gets a little bigger. I change the water 2 weeks a time because of the presence of filter. I am not sure what kind of filter is that, the brand of it is kinston and it's old too. It can only be used with small aquarium. And thanks for the tips for separating the turtle from its tank while feeding, will try that out, but I am feeding him with live fish, it don't eat dead fish. If i try that, then it will be alone and boring itself in the tank.
There is no problem with you keeping some live fish for food in the tank. That is great food for the turtle, and small live fish does not create the mess when snappers eat as they just suck them in.

Tortuoises

Malaysia
There is no problem with you keeping some live fish for food in the tank. That is great food for the turtle, and small live fish does not create the mess when snappers eat as they just suck them in.
Yeah, but he can't suck in the big ones. It chews the big fish (fish that slightly bigger than its mouth) and use his claw to separate the head and the body of the fish instead, kinda violent but I still like it.