Is this ok to sleep in, even if its damp

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi,
Im changing from bark to coir and going to do a full change today. Im going to cleaning the whole vivarium out and put pond liner down under the substrate to protect my wood. Does anubody have any experience with using this and is it ok for the substrate to be damp where my little fella sleeps. I know hes going to love to be able to dig in it and its probably going to get messy, but i do have enough bark to go into his sleeping hide. What do you think. Hes obviously kept warm at night his CHE, but will he be ok burrowed into this, with it being damp. After a couple of dsys the top layer should dry, but obviously underneath is going to be damp. Its cost related issues thats making me change. Ive put a couple of pictures on and spent 2 weeks researching this stuff, brand and safety

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_145321_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_145321_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240321_145305_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_145305_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's safe if:
1. Temperatures at night are not extremely low and he can bask and warm up next day (if you are concerned about respiratory infections).
2. If he can find a dry surface during the day (if you are concerned about fungus on the plastron, which he is unlikely to get).

They naturally burrow to get some humidity from soil and thermoregulate, so no reasons to worry.

cpl1307

Lancashire
It's safe if:
1. Temperatures at night are not extremely low and he can bask and warm up next day (if you are concerned about respiratory infections).
2. If he can find a dry surface during the day (if you are concerned about fungus on the plastron, which he is unlikely to get).

They naturally burrow to get some humidity from soil and thermoregulate, so no reasons to worry.
Should i be concerned about respiratory infections.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
Im changing from bark to coir and going to do a full change today. Im going to cleaning the whole vivarium out and put pond liner down under the substrate to protect my wood. Does anubody have any experience with using this and is it ok for the substrate to be damp where my little fella sleeps. I know hes going to love to be able to dig in it and its probably going to get messy, but i do have enough bark to go into his sleeping hide. What do you think. Hes obviously kept warm at night his CHE, but will he be ok burrowed into this, with it being damp. After a couple of dsys the top layer should dry, but obviously underneath is going to be damp. Its cost related issues thats making me change. Ive put a couple of pictures on and spent 2 weeks researching this stuff, brand and safety
Its not just okay, it is necessary to keep it damp. Not sopping wet, but lightly damp. This keeps the dust down, and allows them to burrow down and create a healthy humid micro-climate for themselves.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Its not just okay, it is necessary to keep it damp. Not sopping wet, but lightly damp. This keeps the dust down, and allows them to burrow down and create a healthy humid micro-climate for themselves.
Thanks Tom
I always remember you telling me that if they were in the wild, they would spend their time hiding in a wet root of a plant or tree and that just kept feeling better to be honest. I just always try to think what conditions they would be like if they lived in the wild. I think a lot of people "In the nicest way"over care without thinking. Ive learnt everything I know from this forum. Hes going to love digging in it!!