Is this an issue? (Squeezing through space)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I swear Fezzik could fit through this space last year. Only way to fix this would be to shave down the wood. He doesn’t seem to mind… as he goes back and forth thru this corner a lot (also he does not “need” to do this, everything is accessible from the other side). Anyone see any safety concerns here?

Attachments

• IMG_8136.mov
    18.8 MB
  • IMG_8135.mov
    21.1 MB

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I swear Fezzik could fit through this space last year. Only way to fix this would be to shave down the wood. He doesn’t seem to mind… as he goes back and forth thru this corner a lot (also he does not “need” to do this, everything is accessible from the other side). Anyone see any safety concerns here?
How big is his enclosure? There may be a slight risk if he somehow flips and cant right himself while stuck in the sun. Hes prob just trying to find a way out or a tight spot to hide ( comes back to enclosure size)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Attachments

• IMG_8054.jpg
    IMG_8054.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Is it made of steel? Haha doesnt look that big to me. But u could always block the lil section off w a rock or strip of lumber if ur worried.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Is it made of steel? Haha doesnt look that big to me. But u could always block the lil section off w a rock or strip of lumber if ur worried.

I could, though he does like going through there so I hate to take it away from him of its not an issue.

The doghouse is buried partially underground and how the space around it has "set" in (and its pretty hard clay). I'm sure there are people moving this would not be an issue for, but I am definitely not one of them...

Last edited:

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I could, though he does like going through there so I hate to take it away from him of its not an issue.

The doghouse is buried partially underground and how the space around it has "set" in (and its pretty hard clay). I'm sure there are people this would not be an issue for, but I am definitely not one of them...
most likely its not an issue at all. Myself wouldnt worry much obout it but its just an idea if its bothering you. Myself if there is a lil doubt in my mind id cover it … or have a beer hahaha

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'd block access to that area and not let him get behind all of that.
Because of needing to squeeze thru or some other reason? he likes hanging out back there a lot, it’s among his favorite places

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because of needing to squeeze thru or some other reason? he likes hanging out back there a lot, it’s among his favorite places
Animals, including or maybe especially tortoises, will find ways to hurt themselves, get stuck, and/or commit suicide. Letting him get back there is going to eventually lead to disaster in some creative way that you and I cannot even imagine. I watched the videos and I can feel it in my bones. If that were my tortoise, I would block that off immediately and not let him back there at all. He can hang out somewhere else where he is less likely to find some creative way to kill himself. Oh the stories I could tell...

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It is very normal behavior for him to want to squeeze through small spaces and might make him feel safe, but still I would block that area. It is not going to be safe unsupervised. Russians seem to chronically overestimate their agility and skills, it is just a matter of time before he ends up flipped over or worse...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't seem to realize how big they are and that their 'body' doesn't fit somewhere. I'm with all the others who have said block off the area.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thanks al! If I widen the area by shaving down the wood so he doesn’t need to contort would that be ok, or do you think the entire area should be off limits no matter what?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks al! If I widen the area by shaving down the wood so he doesn’t need to contort would that be ok, or do you think the entire area should be off limits no matter what?
Tortoises like to feel safe, and squeezing into a tight space feels safe to them. Give him another safe place that is actually 'safer' for him to hide in. Block off the dangerous area.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thanks @Yvonne G . I’m not trying to be difficult or argumentative I will definitely block off the area, but I’m still trying to figure out if you guys think it’s dangerous for any reason other than the fact that he has to angle to get through. Is there something *else* about that area that is dangerous in your guys eyes that I’m not aware of so I can look for it elsewhere.

Another words am I just blocking him from getting through thr tight space or is there something about that entire section alongside and behind his doghouse that is a problem?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Is there something *else* about that area that is dangerous in your guys eyes that I’m not aware of so I can look for it elsewhere.
Nothing really caught my eye. But are the rocks seen in the video small enough to fit in his mouth? Those might cause a problem if he decides to swallow them. Other than that it seems fine to me.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Nothing really caught my eye. But are the rocks seen in the video small enough to fit in his mouth? Those might cause a problem if he decides to swallow them. Other than that it seems fine to me.
Fortunately, no, they are not small gravel, they are about the size of his head.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
So far so good…
We did the same thing for Charlie a few years ago. We have a storage shed in the yard he liked to go behind. It wasn't so tight that he had to go up on two legs but if he decided to stay behind the storage shed, we wouldn't have been able to get him out easily. He is well over 100 pounds and there was not enough room to maneuver. When we first put up the walls, he tried to figure out how to get over them, but I think he has forgotten about them now. It's helpful if he can't see over them.

There was also a place between a fence and post he used to squeeze through. The post was getting shaved down by his shell. He stopped using that opening awhile ago. I'm not sure why. I think once he got out of the habit of going that way, he never got the urge to do it again.