is this a plantain?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Off hand I'd say it looks to be broadleaf plantain to me, to be certain I'd like to see an older picture…

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Funny.....in Jamaica, Plantain is a fruit like banana, but larger, and it grows on a tree that looks just like a banana tree. You can eat fried green plantain or bake the ripe plantain and it is very sweet.

So it is nothing like what is shown here. So....plantain is not the same everywhere.

Central Kentucky
Funny.....in Jamaica, Plantain is a fruit like banana, but larger, and it grows on a tree that looks just like a banana tree. You can eat fried green plantain or bake the ripe plantain and it is very sweet.

So it is nothing like what is shown here. So....plantain is not the same everywhere.
Lol yeah however I don't think I will be frying it up and eating it! Yuck

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It could be a young plantain.
Compare it with the pics on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
Yes, I see the picture on that site. I have to admit I have never seen "baby" plantains, only the mature trees. And I see that "banana" has "plantain" in brackets after it, although it is certainly not the same thing, as you can eat ripe banana raw, of course, but not plantain.
I absolutely love fried or baked ripe plantain - it is delicious!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yeah I realized almost as soon as I said that, that they are edible for humans to and I'm sure I definitely will try it thanks!
Heather, not sure if you totally follow Tammy. she is talking about the type of Banana that is the plantain. Not the weed, plantain...

Plantain weed our tortoises love,

plantain weed.jpg

Plantain Tammy loves and eats,

Plantain banana.jpg

Grows like this,

Plantain Banana1.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a baby broadleaf plantain weed. I've got tons of that stuff here and its spreading and thriving, which I and my tortoises are thrilled about!

There is also a narrow leaf plantain and my tortoises seem to like that one even more. I've been collecting and spreading the seeds from this one on purpose. It also thrives here. Both do well in summer as long as they are watered, and both survive the mild freezes we get here in winter, but they don't grow much in winter.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well now we know all about plantain for tortoises and plantain for humans!

Thanks all!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Well now we know all about plantain for tortoises and plantain for humans!

Thanks all!
I actually was like you and a bit confused when I first heard about plantain for tortoises. My first exposure to plantain was on vacation in Jamaica. Didn't know there was a weed called plantain as well!!

Central Kentucky
That is a baby broadleaf plantain weed. I've got tons of that stuff here and its spreading and thriving, which I and my tortoises are thrilled about!

There is also a narrow leaf plantain and my tortoises seem to like that one even more. I've been collecting and spreading the seeds from this one on purpose. It also thrives here. Both do well in summer as long as they are watered, and both survive the mild freezes we get here in winter, but they don't grow much in winter.
Thanks that's great. Where do u spread the seeds? I've let yard grow out and designated a lot of mow free zones around trees shed edges of driveway and walks weeds are plentiful . It stays pretty warm here too basically. Do u grow any indoors? I'm going back out tomorrow to check on some plants I found last week. Plantains (beautiful ones narrow and wide) filigree, chickweed, ice plant. I have to much to list growing in my yard that is on the approved food list. I'm hoping between what's growing outside and what I'm growing indoors will provide a great weed buffet. P.S. I took note of the freezing thread will be very helpful.