Is this a leopard tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying this tortoise, just wanted to know if it is a leopard, also would this one be 4 years old?? Seems kinda small for it.

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEiY!BQKrlt(ow!~~48_20.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEiY!BQKrlt(ow!~~48_20.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 134

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Leopard just a little darker than others, can't comment on age.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Age and size cannot be directly linked. All torts grow at different rates depending on diet and environment.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is indeed a leopard. Would be a total geuss at age, but given that it had good husbandry was fed a proper diet and all other crucial aspects were in line with top notch care, looks around the size a typical pardalis babcocki would be, they kinda grow slow, but some grow faster. Id put his age in that range. But no certain way of knowing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Because of the coloring, it is different, I think most people would try to sell it at a premium price.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortadise said:
That is indeed a leopard. Would be a total geuss at age, but given that it had good husbandry was fed a proper diet and all other crucial aspects were in line with top notch care, looks around the size a typical pardalis babcocki would be, they kinda grow slow, but some grow faster. Id put his age in that range. But no certain way of knowing.

What make you think it is a cross of a pardalis and a babcocki. You do know they are two different kinds of leopards? The pardalis grows larger and usually faster then the babcocki.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
wellington said:
tortadise said:

What make you think it is a cross of a pardalis and a babcocki. You do know they are two different kinds of leopards? The pardalis grows larger and usually faster then the babcocki.

I didnt mean for it to come off as a mix, I meant it is a geochelone pardalis babcocki and not a gechelone pardalis pardalis. The smaller of the two. A mix would be a pardalisxbabcocki. Sorry I didnt write it out very clearly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortadise said:
wellington said:
tortadise said:

I didnt mean for it to come off as a mix, I meant it is a geochelone pardalis babcocki and not a gechelone pardalis pardalis. The smaller of the two. A mix
would be a pardalisxbabcocki. Sorry I didnt write it out very clearly.

Thanks for clarifying. But I was hoping you could have told me how you new it was a mix. Darn:p:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh yes indeed I am very aware of the differences I have had many pardalis pardalis, and have 4 pardalis babcocki

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
wellington said:
tortadise said:

Wellington, he didn't say it was a cross. The two subspecies are called pardalis pardalis or pardalis babcocki. He is saying it is a pardalis babocki.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortadise said:
Oh yes indeed I am very aware of the differences I have had many pardalis pardalis, and have 4 pardalis babcocki

Sorry :D I didn't even pay attention to who wrote it. If I would have, I wouldn't have questioned. I do that sometimes, not pay attention to all of it or who wrote it:p:D. Please forgive me, (on hands and knees begging forgiveness) :p:D:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
wellington said:
tortadise said:

Sorry :D I didn't even pay attention to who wrote it. If I would have, I wouldn't have questioned. I do that sometimes, not pay attention to all of it or who wrote it:p:D. Please forgive me, (on hands and knees begging forgiveness) :p:D:)

PSHHH c'mon now, no need for appologies, or kneeling. I do it all the time too. Sometimes I even skim so fast through post, I ask questions that are clearly stated in the text, and then I embarasse myself by asking the question. Were just the excitable type one here:D:D:D:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Seems slightly small for a 4 year old...but as someone said, it could just be genetics.

Doesn't look all too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.