Is There Such Thing as Overfeeding a Russian Tortoise?!?!

Kaitlynn

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota, USA
So I have had my Russian tort baby for about 2+ weeks now. He was hatched in June. He came to me happy and healthy. The moment I put him in his enclosure he was basking, eating, and immediately got used to my schedule. He enjoys adventuring outside in the sun and watching me do homework on my laptop (from the tops of the keys)... Anyways he has a normal fecal and I regularly soak him about every other day (which he LOVES). The only time he gets fussy, is when I try to go without feeding him for more than 8 hours. I noticed that he gets antsy and tries climbing on EVERYTHING in order to get my attention. The moment I put my hand in there, he follows it everywhere. When I take my hand out again, he goes back to being fussy and trying to climb out. As soon as I put food in there, he eats, basks, and calms down. I put a spring mix (no spinach) in everyday around 9-10 in the morning, and put in another when he gets fussy again which is about 3 in the afternoon (or whenever he gets hungry around that time). (Note: I put in a variety of the spring mix about the palm of my hand which is bigger than his shell 2x a day. I also sprinkle calcium on his food 1 a week.) He also has a pet med block access everyday in his habitat. The vet says he is healthy but he isn't used to getting tortoise questions (we live far out in the country) so he says I should contact other Russian tort owners for some advice or a zoologist. So is he being overfed, or is he just spoiled???? He is always eating!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can overfeed a russian in a small indoor enclosure with grocery store foods. You need to get outside and learn to identify your local weeds and start finding better foods for him. Grocery store lettuces are to low in fiber and are okay as part of a varied diet, but they should be the whole diet. I also suggest you make a large, escape proof enclosure in an area with lots of shade and weeds and let your baby be outside on fair weather days.

Here are some food suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
You can overfeed a russian in a small indoor enclosure with grocery store foods. You need to get outside and learn to identify your local weeds and start finding better foods for him. Grocery store lettuces are to low in fiber and are okay as part of a varied diet, but they should be the whole diet. I also suggest you make a large, escape proof enclosure in an area with lots of shade and weeds and let your baby be outside on fair weather days.

Here are some food suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Like I said, he spends a lot of time indoors and outdoors and I pick a variety of dandelions, clovers, petunias, geraniums, hostas, and sometimes mustard from the marketplace, we live on a farm and grow alfalfa as well. I do live in Minnesota so outdoors is not an option for very long. So variety is not am issue. I simply feed spring mix as his varied go-to.