Is my tortoises pymraiding ??

Hayleylouise91

Hey,
I just want to know if this is the start of pymraiding and how I can prevent more happening!!

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1490721509832528901276.jpg
    1490721509832528901276.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

GingerLove

5 Year Member
He's starting to pyramid, yes. Are you using a light in his cage or does he live outside?

Hayleylouise91

He is in a viv. He has a heat lamp and a uv strip too ... he is only 1.5 years old.
I think we have been over feeding him to be honest so I have cut back on how much we give him to slow it down

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Yes, a little bit, but not enough for him to not be BEAUTIFUL. He is absolutely stunning! Pyramiding is simply indication of low humidity. You can easily correct it and those little bumps just add to his character. They will not go away, but if kept more humid from this point on his growth will be smother

Hayleylouise91

Thank you so much for your advice. You have put my mind at ease so much. I need to weigh them tonight too.
How do I increase the humidity?? I just brought a humidity reader and it's saying 40% 'moderate' level ??? @Pearly

Pearly

5 Year Member
He is in a viv. He has a heat lamp and a uv strip too ... he is only 1.5 years old.
I think we have been over feeding him to be honest so I have cut back on how much we give him to slow it down
One more thing, I don't think there is such thing as "overfeeding tortoises". Your viv is not a fish tank where you have to worry about the amt. of waste. I let mine eat to their hearts content. I feel that if they have to live their lives in captivity we should offer some perks in exchange, keep them warm, humid, safe, comfy, with lots of room for exercise and give them lots of yummy food that is both good for them and healthy

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for your advice. You have put my mind at ease so much. I need to weigh them tonight too.
How do I increase the humidity?? I just brought a humidity reader and it's saying 40% 'moderate' level ??? @Pearly
40% is too low. I keep mine at 80 and above, but mine are the RFs. I don't know about your species but if you want to smooth out the further growth just think "the more the better". Now, with high humidity you should not let the temps drop due to risk of them getting sick with RI. I have Reptifogger for mine and after the first year of using it daily with biosubstrate I don't use it al all now, and haven't in several months. My humidity gagues at substrate level read 85-86%. I have been raising mine in breeder tank-terrarium, which at this point serves only as their night time sleep chamber, daytime they are in their Tortoise Garden outside. With your viv humidity should not be a problem for you. Check out the "enclosures" section here and look up "closed chambers" there for ideas. Humidity has been everone's struggle so you are not the first one and you are NOT alone:)

Hayleylouise91

40% is too low. I keep mine at 80 and above, but mine are the RFs. I don't know about your species but if you want to smooth out the further growth just think "the more the better". Now, with high humidity you should not let the temps drop due to risk of them getting sick with RI. I have Reptifogger for mine and after the first year of using it daily with biosubstrate I don't use it al all now, and haven't in several months. My humidity gagues at substrate level read 85-86%. I have been raising mine in breeder tank-terrarium, which at this point serves only as their night time sleep chamber, daytime they are in their Tortoise Garden outside. With your viv humidity should not be a problem for you. Check out the "enclosures" section here and look up "closed chambers" there for ideas. Humidity has been everone's struggle so you are not the first one and you are NOT alone:)

Yeah maybe I need to change their substrate but it's so messy! Lol
I need to figure out how to increase it and.keep it level like that with out the temperature being affected.
I feel like I need a degree in this stuff!! Haha

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is absolutely gorgeous! Yes increase the humidity, and give him as much as he will eat of the right stuff!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you how cute he is!!!!!!!!