Is my baby sick?

BoyMom×3

Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn,VA
Here's a video of what I am seeing. She's gaining weight, eating, drinking and making regular bm's and urinating. She's been doing this about 3 days after we got her. Any info would be great.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
The way I've always had to do it is to upload to YouTube, then post the link here. A bit convoluted I know, but that's how I've always had to do it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He looks dry to me, also I see neck stretching, could be an respiratory infection coming on...OR it might be a baby acting like a baby...I really see nothing wrong..how are you keeping him? In a humid atmosphere? Why don't you tell us how he is set up, so we might be able to stop something that we see is wrong...most of the time, and I said MOST of the time the new keeper was given the wrong information on how to set him up...

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
I'm not seeing a video.

Bingo!!

Are you talking about the clicking noises? That's not all that unusual.
If you watch closer to the end you'll see a bubble come out its nose. We have another one we got from Tortstork about the same age and I never experienced this with him. So I wanted to check. They're separated but both in the same type if enclosure, same substrate, same lights, same food. Moo is fine, weighs a pound and going on 2 years. Never saw it with him.

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
He looks dry to me, also I see neck stretching, could be an respiratory infection coming on...OR it might be a baby acting like a baby...I really see nothing wrong..how are you keeping him? In a humid atmosphere? Why don't you tell us how he is set up, so we might be able to stop something that we see is wrong...most of the time, and I said MOST of the time the new keeper was given the wrong information on how to set him up...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
If you watch closer to the end you'll see a bubble come out its nose. We have another one we got from Tortstork about the same age and I never experienced this with him. So I wanted to check. They're separated but both in the same type if enclosure, same substrate, same lights, same food. Moo is fine, weighs a pound and going on 2 years. Never saw it with him.
Ah, missed that. Could be indicative of a respiratory infection. How's your ambient temps? Basking temps? humidity level? RI's are most prevalent when conditions are kept too cool.

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
She was hatched December 2nd. She is in an aivituvin tortoise box. Has a heat lamp and uvb lamp. I use reptisoil and a terracotta dish for water and half of pot for her home. She mostly eating dandilions at the moment while our aerogaredens grow red romaine, enduve, arugula and red salad bowl. She's our second one. Our other one is going on 2 and while they're separated are in the same exact habit, substrate and eat the same foods. As for the dryness is substrate I just dug her out. She likes to dig. I wanted to see if she blew a bubble before the soaking.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ah, missed that. Could be indicative of a respiratory infection. How's your ambient temps? Basking temps? humidity level? RI's are most prevalent when conditions are kept too cool.
this is just a thought...their nares and their mouth are connected so sometimes when they eat or after they eat there might be a bubble or 2 come out his nose...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She was hatched December 2nd. She is in an aivituvin tortoise box. Has a heat lamp and uvb lamp. I use reptisoil and a terracotta dish for water and half of pot for her home. She mostly eating dandilions at the moment while our aerogaredens grow red romaine, enduve, arugula and red salad bowl. She's our second one. Our other one is going on 2 and while they're separated are in the same exact habit, substrate and eat the same foods. As for the dryness is substrate I just dug her out. She likes to dig. I wanted to see if she blew a bubble before the soaking.
good for you!!!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
this is just a thought...there nares and their mouth are connected so sometimes when they eat or after they eat there might be a bubble or 2 come out his nose...
Agreed, but we don't know enough about the current conditions or history to jump to any conclusion quite yet.

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
My apartment fluctuates even witn in the 40s outside can reach 76 without the heat on during the day and 72 at night. I dont have a gage in the house but can order one.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My apartment fluctuates even witn in the 40s outside can reach 76 without the heat on during the day and 72 at night. I dont have a gage in the house but can order one.
But whatever your apartment temperature is, it don't matter to him as he NEEDS to be set jp in a closed chamber with temps in the 80's and 90's...if his ambient temperatures are from your apartment...he is way too cold. Did I misunderstand your post about how he is kept? He looks like a baby Hermanni to me and I've only ever had one, I am not sure any more how they are kept, I'm stepping out...so good luck with him...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
In addition to what Maggie3fan suggested, it would be imperative for you to get a digital thermometer / hygrometer so that you can keep tabs on it. They average around $10 on Amazon. :)