Is it okay to feed my red foot nuts, beans & grains? Will they become obese?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, I started to try feeding my red foot other alternative foods choices because she wasn't eating what was usually offered to her on a daily basis. Is it wrong to feed her nuts, beans & grains? Will these food cause digestive problems? Because of the hardness of some, is it not a good idea to feed cooked or should it just be soaked or completely raw?

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey there! Honestly I definitely wouldn't it can be toxic. Your RF seems pretty young yes? My RF was super picky when he was young. They like variety. What do you feed your Tort? I feed mine mostly Dandelion Greens, collard greens, stinging nettles, purslane, cactus, very rarley kale. Honestly mostly collards are his favorite. For fruit I give him mango, papaya, strawberry, pinapple, blueberries. I also feed mine a small mouse every week. I started with pinkies when he was small. I also keep a small bag of Mazuri tortois food around for emergencies if I happend to run out fresh stuff. I dont mix greens with fruit because he honestly will just eat around the fruit and its just a waste. When he was young if I fed him too much fruit on a reg. he would get picky and just want to eat that. I would have to kind of starve him for about 2 days until he would start eating his greens again. And by starve I mean feed him nothing but greens until he would eat. Also, so many things can change their appitite. If RF's arent warm enough they wont eat, or if they dont get enough excersise. This is just my experience. I got my RF when he was around 1 yr. hes about 10 now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah. No nuts, grains or dry beans.
Redfoot can eat hundreds of items. Flowers, fruits, leaves greens of every description and even mushrooms, cactus and animal protein.
They can eat the widest variety of foods than any other species.
There is simply no excuse to not feed a Redfoot a more correct diet.

willee638

HK
Hey there! Honestly I definitely wouldn't it can be toxic. Your RF seems pretty young yes? My RF was super picky when he was young. They like variety. What do you feed your Tort? I feed mine mostly Dandelion Greens, collard greens, stinging nettles, purslane, cactus, very rarley kale. Honestly mostly collards are his favorite. For fruit I give him mango, papaya, strawberry, pinapple, blueberries. I also feed mine a small mouse every week. I started with pinkies when he was small. I also keep a small bag of Mazuri tortois food around for emergencies if I happend to run out fresh stuff. I dont mix greens with fruit because he honestly will just eat around the fruit and its just a waste. When he was young if I fed him too much fruit on a reg. he would get picky and just want to eat that. I would have to kind of starve him for about 2 days until he would start eating his greens again. And by starve I mean feed him nothing but greens until he would eat. Also, so many things can change their appitite. If RF's arent warm enough they wont eat, or if they dont get enough excersise. This is just my experience. I got my RF when he was around 1 yr. hes about 10 now.
Thanks for the suggestions, I guess we can only know what's toxic to a tortoise is when someone fed it & a bad reaction happened. I think my red foot doesn't like fruits that are citric or sour, I gave her star fruits & she never even tasted it no blueberries either which was surprising. However she liked apples, cherry tomatoes/regular tomatoes, cucumbers but didn't like salad lettuce, haven't fed her Romaine lettuce which everyone says is a favourite for RF's & green peas are good too. Papayas is another she doesn't care for much also surprising I guess each individual tortoise is different, she eats raw salmon & tuna for proteins but I haven't tried other meats or insects yet. I also stock Mazuri pet food but if given to her for more than once she ignores it, I never mixed several foods together as some keepers do but only one item at a time. I put little pots of living plants in her enclosure like 2 cactuses & grasses & she sometime sleeps on the patch of grass, she gets fresh Hibiscus flowers or leaves daily but doesn't always eats them.