Is clover hay good for tortoises?

eri

Hi all!

I am new to having a tortoise, only just got a small one yesterday!

Still unsure about the species so I am trying to find out what is good to feed her.

I read online that clover hay is good for tortoises. I have a lot of clover hay as we have a rabbit who loves clover hay but I was wondering whether it would be safe/nutritious as a weeds' staple for the little tortoise.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, it's not well-balanced, calcium/phosphorus.

Small tortoises usually won't eat any kind of hay for the first two or three years. Once they get a bit of size to them, you might be able to introduce GRASS hay.

There are other edible weeds you can use, just make sure they haven't been sprayed with herbicides or pesticides. You can also buy dark, leafy greens from the produce store, things like dandelion, endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens.

If you post a picture of your new tortoise we can help identify it for you. We have some good care sheets pinned at the tops of our species specific sections.

Reactions: eri

eri

No, it's not well-balanced, calcium/phosphorus.

Small tortoises usually won't eat any kind of hay for the first two or three years. Once they get a bit of size to them, you might be able to introduce GRASS hay.

There are other edible weeds you can use, just make sure they haven't been sprayed with herbicides or pesticides. You can also buy dark, leafy greens from the produce store, things like dandelion, endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens.

If you post a picture of your new tortoise we can help identify it for you. We have some good care sheets pinned at the tops of our species specific sections.

Hi and thanks!

OK, we will stay away from clover hay then. :)

I still don't know what species my tortoise is for sure. I have asked here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...e-species-of-my-tortoise.131360/#post-1233186

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can trust what HermanniChris told you. You have a Greek tortoise.

Reactions: eri

eri

Here is my lovely Greek tortoise!

Attachments

• 20151108_144728[1].jpg
    20151108_144728[1].jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 1