Introductions all around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ognom

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm Tony from Orange County, CA. We've had our Desert Tortoise, Timmy, for several years and I'm finally doing some more research on him and his kind. I'm not sure of his age but he was an adult when we adopted him.

We have an enclosure fenced off in our back and and he seems to like it quite well.
P4290087.JPG

His burrow is behind the shed shaded by the two big bushes you can see hanging over the fence at the back of the yard, underneath the overturned pond.
P4290089.JPG
P4290090.JPG
P4290091.JPG
P4290092.JPG

As you can see he's having his morning meal, some jicama. It's something he really likes. He also likes mustard, collard and turnip greens, broccoli, corn, rose blossoms, and too many other veggies and flowers to list. I've found the corn and broccoli on both the feed and don't feed lists so he gets those in moderation.

He goes into hibernation from October-November through February-March, in the burrow he made for himself the first year we had him. He loves a good soaking when the sprinklers go off during the hotter summer months but is still hanging out in his burrow a lot these days as it's been pretty cool.

I'm hoping to dig up a few spots in his enclosure this year and try getting some native forage for him. but since I work graveyard shift I can't get as much done as I would like.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble so I'll shut up for now. hope to hear from some of you soon.

- tony -

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tony! TimmyTortoise is quite handsome. I love his eyes.

Ognom

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Welcome to the Forum, Tony! TimmyTortoise is quite handsome. I love his eyes.
Why Thank you! I'll tell him you said so :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Great space, love the use he has made of the overturned pond shell :D...he is a very dashing tort....true to form, fabulous eyes ....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. What a beauty. His eyes will break the hearts of many females, for sure. Love how you keep him. Are there any predators that you may have concerns of? If so, what are they?

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Welcome to the forum! As almost everyone said, I love his eyes! His enclosure is nice, simple and over all great! One thing though, fruits and veggies should not be fed that much. I don't know how often you feed that type of thing, but just make sure it's limited. Good idea with planting some native plants tho. I like hibiscus, geraniums, and spineless prickly pear cactus. you might want to check out the different weed seed mixes on AZ tortoise compound.

WELCOME!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.