Introduction1

Elizabeth Tucker

Hello! I’m new in here. My name is Elizabeth Tucker.

I hope I see some of you guys on the forum, and I hope I can gain a reputation on this forum!

That’s all there is to my intro, thanks for reading.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Elizabeth welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA. When do we get to see Picts of your torts and their enclosures ? Were are you from ? Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I love Aldabra Tortoise..............What about you?
I love them all. Aldabras are very unique and fun to keep. But they do require a little more in depth understanding of the species. They need lots of room and proper grasses and weeds to sustain a perfectly healthy long lived specimen. They're known for living to incredible ages well over a century sometimes close to two. Many don't see the issues at hand with Aldabra keepers in the years past, they can develop incorrectly if not offered proper husbandry and large areas to graze on. There sole purpose in the wild I'd to propagate seeds of grasses, and plants. So what many keepers don't understand is the long term decline they can exhume when aren't allowed a good parameter for large roaming areas to graze within. Also cold climate areas challenge this task too. But they are very beautiful species.

Whichever species your interested in getting just remember they're a life long commitment. Researching is the best and most beneficial task to preparing yourself for plunging in. :)

I gave my mom one for her birthday last year. It's name is blossom.
At only a year and half blossom is 12 pounds and 11" Long.
image.jpg

puffy137

I love them all. Aldabras are very unique and fun to keep. But they do require a little more in depth understanding of the species. They need lots of room and proper grasses and weeds to sustain a perfectly healthy long lived specimen. They're known for living to incredible ages well over a century sometimes close to two. Many don't see the issues at hand with Aldabra keepers in the years past, they can develop incorrectly if not offered proper husbandry and large areas to graze on. There sole purpose in the wild I'd to propagate seeds of grasses, and plants. So what many keepers don't understand is the long term decline they can exhume when aren't allowed a good parameter for large roaming areas to graze within. Also cold climate areas challenge this task too. But they are very beautiful species.

Whichever species your interested in getting just remember they're a life long commitment. Researching is the best and most beneficial task to preparing yourself for plunging in. :)

View attachment 100761
Blossom was a nick name we gave to our science teacher at school, lol. lovely name. I have just noticed one of my Greek girls is showing early signs of the dreaded 'pyrimiding' she is one of the lazy ones who never seem to want to exercise much plus the fact I think I might be giving them too much food.I have started giving them cuttlefish bone which they like to nibble, & when the weather heats up again I will make sure these lazy girls have to move more before they will get their food.

Elizabeth Tucker

View attachment 100761

Looks like I just find my buddy..............:<3:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Blossom was a nick name we gave to our science teacher at school, lol. lovely name. I have just noticed one of my Greek girls is showing early signs of the dreaded 'pyrimiding' she is one of the lazy ones who never seem to want to exercise much plus the fact I think I might be giving them too much food.I have started giving them cuttlefish bone which they like to nibble, & when the weather heats up again I will make sure these lazy girls have to move more before they will get their food.
Well in captivity it can be tough to raise a tortoises that looks like an identical specimen to a wild one, with smaller species like Greeks a little pyramiding won't hurt anything. They like cooler nights and warmer days with a season of middle to high moisture.

puffy137

Well in captivity it can be tough to raise a tortoises that looks like an identical specimen to a wild one, with smaller species like Greeks a little pyramiding won't hurt anything. They like cooler nights and warmer days with a season of middle to high moisture.
As they originated in the Syrian desert, I try to maintain as near as possible their natural habitat. They like to burrow down a few inches into their sandy ground, where it is fairly damp. I read that some poor creatures had been fed on a diet of tomatoes & dog food & the pyramiding was really horrendous. As they live for months during the cooler weather without food, I'm sure not only bad feeding but OVER feeding must be a culprit too.