Intro

NICOLE640

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hey! I have a cherry head tortoise, from Alberta, Canada. I have had Odie for just about a year now. I am looking for a guess of how old he would have been when I got him..? He was 100 grams, not too sure of any other info I can provide. I do not know much about the growth rate as hatchings, but would love to have a guess as to his age!
The pictures are not overly recent, he has grown considerably since these were taken. I am also curious on the effects of not having his humidifier running these past few days. I had to garbage his previous enclosure as it was wood, and starting to stay very wet. He is now in glass, 6 feet by about 2 feet, with no backdrop yet. I do not have a lid for it at this point so it has been pointless to run the humidifier. He has been acting like normal and seems to have adjusted fine to the new enclosure, but just want to clarify if it will have major effects on him or not.

Snapchat-1827181430.jpgSnapchat-1002346570.jpg20171116_092207.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No way of tells my his age. As for the effects of no humidity, he will continue to pyramid.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, @NICOLE640. :)

Please give your cute tort daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding from getting worse.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there and welcome! Cute little tortoise, looks a bit small for over a year old? Really can't be sure.
My comments: you need to cover the tank, change the raised food bowl for a flat slate or rough tile, dump the "step up" water dish and get a shallow one and sink it into the substrate, and what is that substrate?
You will also be asked about your temperature in the tank, so get ready to be helped properly by those more expert than I am!

NICOLE640

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Hi there and welcome! Cute little tortoise, looks a bit small for over a year old? Really can't be sure.
My comments: you need to cover the tank, change the raised food bowl for a flat slate or rough tile, dump the "step up" water dish and get a shallow one and sink it into the substrate, and what is that substrate?
You will also be asked about your temperature in the tank, so get ready to be helped properly by those more expert than I am!
He is a lot bigger now than he is in the pictures! I am curious as to why you say flat slate for feeding? Is that to do with his beak? Also about the water dish? He seems to do ok with both and I have never heard suggestions like those, but always willing to go for the positive changes!! Temps sits at 90 on one side and about 77 ish on the other.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Others more knowledgeable than I am will help you with the explanations, if not, I will get back to you tomorrow as I have to get home now!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. The reasons for the flat slate or rough tile for putting the food on: 1) he can get to it easily without having to climb over a little "wall" which is the side of a dish or feeding bowl, and maybe even flipping over on his back. 2) Eating off a rough surface will keep his beak from growing too long.
The water dish should be shallow and sunk down to the level of the substrate, also to make it easy for him to drink or go into and soak without tipping over on his back. Anything that causes them to have to climb may be a tipping hazard.
Whatever I am telling you, is what I have learned on this very site from others, as I came here when I got my redfoots and have stayed here because it's extremely useful and often entertaining!
Hope someone else will get into more about the temperatures. I live in the tropics so I don't use any particular heating, but I keep humidity high in their indoor enclosures and keep the enclosures covered and as warm as I can by using blankets over them when the nights get too cool (like below 75F).

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
And please tell me what that substrate is?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Welcome!
I have no experience with redfoots other than what I have read. But his enclosure does seem dry and his bedding (substrate) looks like something that may need to be switched to a more absorbent type like orchid bark.

NICOLE640

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Welcome!
I have no experience with redfoots other than what I have read. But his enclosure does seem dry and his bedding (substrate) looks like something that may need to be switched to a more absorbent type like orchid bark.
I use cypress mulch. I agree was quite dry at this point. This was right after he was moved into that enclosure and it has moistened up lots since his humidifier is now working. I have never had an issue with it, seems very absorbent!

Bambam1989

East Texas
:) I dont have much experience with Cypress mulch. I did not recognize it and will leave it's suitability to the experts..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have been using Cypress Mulch for our Sully for a year or more now and its perfect really. Our local Lowes has these available pretty much year 'round. The texture is probably a bit too coarse for babies, but works well for larger torts.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Cypress mulch is fine.
Hello, Nicole, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Odie. :)