Interesting Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
So Franklin's enclosure has been always in a corner butted up against 2 walls. He rarely ever came out of his hides, basically only came out to eat and was very picky. Same when he was outside.

Since the enclosure is a modified coffee table, and ours broke, I let my roommates convince me that we should move Franklin's enclosure front and center into the living room. I decided this was fine since all he ever did was hide anyways... so we moved him.

I rearranged the enclosure so he had hides that faced every direction to let him decide which part of the room he wanted to hide from. But the funniest thing happened. Right after the move happened, he came out and started exploring... which I didn't notice that much cuz he always explores for 5 minutes when things change but he didn't go back and hide... he went and parked himself under the heat dish and basked for a good couple hours, going from the pool to the heat lamp and back.

I figured this would be just a one day thing... nope... it's been over a week and he's still just fine with hanging out in the open, watching us, basking, wandering and seeming to enjoy life more than ever. Don't know why exposing him more was good, but it seems to have made him more social and exciting to watch! Sorry for the long story but I thought it needed to be shared as another option for those with shy torts...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Who'd a thunk it:D. Glad he is out and about more. I guess he just wanted to hang for with ya:)

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Nice! Maybe with more things to watch, he figured he might as well hang out with everyone :)

-Jen

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I could see this change happening over time through desensitization, but its very interesting that it happened instantaneously like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.