Inactive hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hello, my friend recently bought two baby redfoots at two different reptile shows. One was a cherryhead from LLL reptiles and I wasn't there for the second purchase.

I've never had hatchlings but his setup seems good to me. He's using coconut coir for substrate. The bin they are in is probably 30x18". He has a couple half plastic pots for hiding places and a terracota pot base as a water dish. He has them out on his porch. They get shady sunlight a couple hours a day. Substrate is kept moist. Humidity around here has been over 70% most days since he's got them. And temps have been in mid to high 80s. He's feeding kale, collards, hibiscus and papaya mostly.

Anyway he says they are kinda "lifeless". I was at his place yesterday and I'd agree. My adults are usually only active in the morning and evening but if you get them out they are alert and start to walk around.

Like I say I've never had hatchlings so I'm not sure what is normal. Does it sound like he is missing something. He's keeping them "warm and wet". They are eating and he says they are more active at certain times. Any input would be appreciated. He has lots of experience with other Herps but these are his first torts and I really want to see them thrive and grow up smooth too.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'd tell him to cut back on kale, maybe once a week thing...to much of that really does a number on them.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I'll let him know about kale. He never offers it alone though.

There really isn't a basking temp bc they're outside. They get shady sunlight through the trees.

But the highs have been in the upper 80s

allegraf

10 Year Member!
What are the temps at night? I am in south florida and I do not keep my hatchlings outside until they are at least a year old. There is too wide a temperature change from day to night. Hatchlings are very sensitive to temperature changes and will quickly go downhill. They need constant temps to stay healthy.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
That's good to know!
Lows are in the mid 70s so I thought that would be fine. It's pry not any warmer inside his house though. Should he get a red light or ceramic heater?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
In A nut shell...... Baby Torts in your case RF's are not going to run around like adults. A few reasons and probably the biggest = it is instinct to stay low key , when your that small you an easy meal for a large number of predators‘. Staying hidden and low key will prolong your life...as a baby , also this is one of the most important times in a tort's life ...Growing rapidly during these times , developing muscle and cardiovascular tone, adjust to depth perception .
Much like a human baby ..... they don’t " cruise around " when a few months old ......:p

They will establish a routine when feeding times comes .... as they mature ...( as you state ) ... they will become more active and confident of their surroundings ..... plus be on the prowl to mate~

JD~:)

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
image-1133797287.png

He's in St Pete and temps are a little more stable over there. Actually more stable there right now than they are in the amazon. But he's going to have to start bringing them in at night in a few weeks anyway. It's ok to take them outside during the day though right? Does he need to keep them inside all the time?

That makes me feel better. He keeps there bowl full all day. Should he have feeding times instead? I just watch YouTube vids of these hatchling crawling all over the place and eating everything and his aren't. I get worried. Thanks for your replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Bad news. My friend tells me one of his RF's died. After I posted this he did move them inside. Basking temps are at 90 and cool side is 75-80. His other one is still very lethargic he tells me. Any ideas?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Yeah I told him that I'd take both the living and the dead one to the vet. Not sure that its gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.