I'm worried! (small for his age??)

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
How much should my one year old sulcata weigh? He is one year old and two months but only weighs 67 oz. And 192 grams! Is this normal?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
He seems underweight, some sulcatas at 1 year old can way around (or more than) 1 kg, if I'm not mistaken.
Like in this post
(This post seems to approximately measure a years growth, but your tort seems too underweight, so its good you asked)
Can you send images of your tort and its enclosure?
What are you feeding him?
No need to panic, hopefuly other members can chime in soon.
@Tom is the expert on them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much should my one year old sulcata weigh? He is one year old and two months but only weighs 67 oz. And 192 grams! Is this normal?
Do you mean 6.7 ounces? Please clarify. Most of us go by grams, so you can give us his total weight in grams.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I'm a little confused, if the Tortoise is 67 ozs. It is over 4 lbs at 14 months old. Whats the problem, My tortoise was just 2 lbs. at 1 yr old and very healthy. Sound like its doing good. My boy is now 4 yrs. old, weighing just over 44 lbs. Post some pictures.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Do you mean 6.7 ounces? Please clarify. Most of us go by grams, so you can give us his total weight in grams.
Yes, it would be reasonable to assume that the correct weight would be 6.7 oz. which EQUALS 192 grams.

For future reference for those interested, 1 ounce equals 28.375 grams.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh! I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding he is just 192 grams!
Most breeders don't start babies correctly, and then most pet stores or pet owners get bad advice and don't keep them correctly. The typical problems are cool temps and excessive dryness.

If all goes well, they usually hit 800-1200 grams by one year old, but if started or kept too dry, they don't grow as much. You can improve conditions and get them well hydrated, and they should start growing well again.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Most breeders don't start babies correctly, and then most pet stores or pet owners get bad advice and don't keep them correctly. The typical problems are cool temps and excessive dryness.

If all goes well, they usually hit 800-1200 grams by one year old, but if started or kept too dry, they don't grow as much. You can improve conditions and get them well hydrated, and they should start growing well again.
Thank you. Yeah my tort was started dry and I got bad advise so I need some better advise on how to keep him!