I'm so EXCITED!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I don;t know why this makes me so extremely happy, but I've decided on getting a blue tongue skink!! Yay! A few people convinced me they were the ULTIMATE lizard pet, so now I'm so happy, I'm going to get one!
Anyone have any experience with these little (um, big) guys? I read several caresheets, but am missing out on some info!
Could I take my future ( :D:D ) skink outdoors? To like, walk about and get real sun?
How do they feel about deep-dish soaking? All the care sheets I've read are pretty sketchy about their water, so any detail about that whole subject would be awesome.
Also, read contradicting info on humid hides- do they or do they not need one?
Cooked egg vs raw?
Adult vs baby? I'm also loving the idea of raising one as my one :<3: but adults would already be established, but not raised the way I might want them to be (used to handling, certain food types, walks ect.)
Breeder vs pet store? I know petstores are nonos, but I can't find breeders in the area. LLLReptile sells them, but shipping is pretty pricey :confused: and I'd rather get one that I could see, and be like, yes!
Also, heard differing opinions on UVB usage, kind of like leopard geckos, do they or do they not need one?
Awesome tank ideas? I'll be using a 40gallon for a bit, but plant on upgrading down the line. And of course using COCO COIR, the best substare ever! but should I mix that with something? Moss, dirt...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Just thought of something else! Like tortoises, can skinks be safely housed in a plastic storage bin, provided it be big enough? How could I make the lighting work on that?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I know it! I guess they have great personalities, and I belive it! Just look at that little face :D I was originally set on a bearded dragon (sorry beardie+beardie owner) but skinks seem sooo amazing...

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I don;t know why this makes me so extremely happy, but I've decided on getting a blue tongue skink!! Yay! A few people convinced me they were the ULTIMATE lizard pet, so now I'm so happy, I'm going to get one!
Anyone have any experience with these little (um, big) guys? I read several caresheets, but am missing out on some info!
Could I take my future ( :D:D ) skink outdoors? To like, walk about and get real sun?
How do they feel about deep-dish soaking? All the care sheets I've read are pretty sketchy about their water, so any detail about that whole subject would be awesome.
Also, read contradicting info on humid hides- do they or do they not need one?
Cooked egg vs raw?
Adult vs baby? I'm also loving the idea of raising one as my one :<3: but adults would already be established, but not raised the way I might want them to be (used to handling, certain food types, walks ect.)
Breeder vs pet store? I know petstores are nonos, but I can't find breeders in the area. LLLReptile sells them, but shipping is pretty pricey :confused: and I'd rather get one that I could see, and be like, yes!
Also, heard differing opinions on UVB usage, kind of like leopard geckos, do they or do they not need one?
Awesome tank ideas? I'll be using a 40gallon for a bit, but plant on upgrading down the line. And of course using COCO COIR, the best substare ever! but should I mix that with something? Moss, dirt...
I'm happy that your happy! Getting a new addition to the pet family is always fun! :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I know! It's going to be a while :( but it's so awesome to think I'll be getting one :D
Oh no, now I'm getting addicted to the feeling of getting someone new :eek: I should stop now or else it'll be my downfall... ending me up where I have so many adorable tortoises (and turtles [and cats{and lizards}]) than I have room for!
(Although I'm pretty sure that was going to happen anyway!)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How many pets do you have in all?
6 turtle, 2 tortoises, 7 cats and I used to have hermit crabs, but after 10 YEARS, the last one just died :( so 15 pets. WOW. Technically, the cats belong to my mother... but... nuwee... They could be mine... I guess they are... :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Does anybody have any idea on the skinky stuff? I'm not sure why, but finding info on them is a lot harder than finding info on bearded dragons or other lizards o_O

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I know :D Good news is (as I said, the cats BELONG to my mom, but they COULD be mine) I only only own the reptiles ;)
If only I had the room! or the money :( I would totally get 100 tortoises! Aquatic turtles are really my original 'thing' though, so add in 25 more of those... :<3:
That's okay, 10 years was really good :) They are supposed to die after 5-8!

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I have a male and female. Both have completely seperate personalities. Female (lapis) I could leave her on my shoulder and she would stay there all day. the male (Bask) uses me as his personal jungle gym. He is a man on the move! But when I come into the room they both got their eyes glued on me. they do great with the kids in the classroom too.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have a male and female. Both have completely seperate personalities. Female (lapis) I could leave her on my shoulder and she would stay there all day. the male (Bask) uses me as his personal jungle gym. He is a man on the move! But when I come into the room they both got their eyes glued on me. they do great with the kids in the classroom too.
:D who knew lizards could have such great personalities! They are such amazing animals. I guess it just depend on what their personality is like, and what they like doing better.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
:D who knew lizards could have such great personalities! They are such amazing animals. I guess it just depend on what their personality is like, and what they like doing better.
I took an animal assisted therapy class online and everyone talked about their dogs and I talked about my tortoises and their personalities (I'm sure everyone talked about me behind my back LOL) but my teacher sent my a reply from an assignment and he was dead set against how reptiles have no personalities!!!!!!!! Trust me...he has no idea how damn cool they are! I LOVE my torts! They seriously are my babies...I obviously don't have kids yet. But I was not happy with his reply from my assignment. There was more to it, I just can't recall what he said.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I took an animal assisted therapy class online and everyone talked about their dogs and I talked about my tortoises and their personalities (I'm sure everyone talked about me behind my back LOL) but my teacher sent my a reply from an assignment and he was dead set against how reptiles have no personalities!!!!!!!! Trust me...he has no idea how damn cool they are! I LOVE my torts! They seriously are my babies...I obviously don't have kids yet. But I was not happy with his reply from my assignment. There was more to it, I just can't recall what he said.
:mad: They don't do they??? Well, then he ought to not be in that business!! Tortoises are smart animals, and as studies have showed are able to think logically in a situation! They DO have personalities, and my buddies can sometimes be more entertaining and enjoying to be around than people!
( :oops: )
People who don't understand reptiles! :mad: They just think of them as stupid and dumb animals, but they are capable of thought and individual and unique qualities even some people don't have... If they were just stupid and dumb, they wouldn't have lasted this long! Reptiles have been around far longer than people, and we ought to show them the respect they deserve... And now is even more important, because all those amazing, scaly, individualized reptiles are going downhill... :( and it's not like they're flawed, they are quite literally, the perfect design... I feel so lucky to be able to share my life with some of these amazing animals :<3: and I just can't imagine what I would do if something happened to them! :(
Branching out into lizards and other reptiles, they have evolved more beautifully than some other animals that live on the planet!
Hahaha, yeah, they ARE my kids! Hmm, I can think of a few people I know who could classify that as obsessed! Oh well! I love all my turtles and torts, that doesn;t mean they have too :D

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I completely agree!!!! Look I love all animals!!! I like dogs too! But for some reason I've gravitated to tortoises!! I use to have turtles!! The one was so bad. I had a red ear slider & a painted turtle. My red ear slider was an escape artist. He was a big boy too. My tank was on the ground, it was huge can't remember the gallons. But I would come home & my painted turtle would always be there but not the other one. I would always find him under my bed, in my closet, behind dressers, etc?? I ended up giving them to a friend due to not being home much because I was taking care of my mom who was very ill & going to school full time. The sad think is...I no longer am in contact with her....it's been over 8 yrs now. I often wonder how those 2 turtles are. What kind of turtles & torts do you have? I've always wanted a tortoise & then I couldn't take it any longer, I purchased a tortoise not long after giving away my turtles...it was dumb yes I now.. But to be honest I'm way more in tortoises. But I love the shell animals!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I completely agree!!!! Look I love all animals!!! I like dogs too! But for some reason I've gravitated to tortoises!! I use to have turtles!! The one was so bad. I had a red ear slider & a painted turtle. My red ear slider was an escape artist. He was a big boy too. My tank was on the ground, it was huge can't remember the gallons. But I would come home & my painted turtle would always be there but not the other one. I would always find him under my bed, in my closet, behind dressers, etc?? I ended up giving them to a friend due to not being home much because I was taking care of my mom who was very ill & going to school full time. The sad think is...I no longer am in contact with her....it's been over 8 yrs now. I often wonder how those 2 turtles are. What kind of turtles & torts do you have? I've always wanted a tortoise & then I couldn't take it any longer, I purchased a tortoise not long after giving away my turtles...it was dumb yes I now.. But to be honest I'm way more in tortoises. But I love the shell animals!!
Talking about your teacher hahaha ;)
I have a russian tort and a sulcata, they are AMAZING and I would do anything to make them happy and safe :<3:
Yes, RESs sure are the escapists! I recent;t adopted two from a friend, and my female got out the first and was roaming the house hahaha

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
LOL well from my experience get use to it & hope it's in area where you can find her. I always had my bedroom & closet door shut when I realized I left for work what that damn sneaky tortoise was up to. I tried to explain to the turtle that its a Water turtle...you stay in the water...but I guess it just liked to explore & be under things! As long as it was happy:)