IDENTIFICATION

Location (City and/or State)
Morocco?Marrakech
i bought a greek tortoise , i think 100% SHE IS A FEMALE BUT I'M VERY CONFUSED IF SHE IS TETSUDO GRAECA GRAECA?TETSUDO GRAECA MAROKENSIS OR TETSUDO GRAECA SOUSSENSISS
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? FEMALE 1.jpg

Attachments

• FEMALE 2.jpg
    FEMALE 2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1
  • FEMALE 3.jpg
    FEMALE 3.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1
  • FEMALE 4.jpg
    FEMALE 4.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Being able to see the tail is one thing I depend on when determining sex. I need to be able to see the cloaca (vent).

zovick

10 Year Member!
i bought a greek tortoise , i think 100% SHE IS A FEMALE BUT I'M VERY CONFUSED IF SHE IS TETSUDO GRAECA GRAECA?TETSUDO GRAECA MAROKENSIS OR TETSUDO GRAECA SOUSSENSISS
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? View attachment 366742
Chris Leone could probably ID this tortoise, but I don't know his user name to tag him. Maybe someone else can tag Chris for an answer to what subspecies you have. Maybe @Yvonne G could tag him for you.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
T. graeca soussensis is no longer a valid taxa even though the common name “Souss Valley tortoise” is still accepted to some extent and applied to T. g. graeca. Taxonomically speaking, what was soussensis is now T. graeca graeca and the animal in the photos you’ve provided corresponds more with Testudo graeca marokkensis from a morphological standpoint. As with any “Greek” tortoise, not knowing exact locality info on an animal definitely throws a wrench into things.

Taken from an article on the western clade:
Subspecies. − Based on molecular analyses, five subspecies are currently recognized in the
western clade of the Mediterranean Spur-thighed Tortoise: T. graeca graeca (southwestern
Morocco, previously referred to as T. graeca soussensis), T. graeca cyrenaica (northeastern Libya),
T. graeca marokkensis (northern and central Atlantic plain of Morocco), T. graeca nabeulensis
(Tunisia, extreme northeastern Algeria, northwestern Libya, introduced in Sardinia) and T.
graeca whitei (northeastern Morocco, western Algeria, peninsular Spain, introduced in Mallorca
and Formentera, previously referred to as T. graeca graeca).

zovick

10 Year Member!
Chris Leone could probably ID this tortoise, but I don't know his user name to tag him. Maybe someone else can tag Chris for an answer to what subspecies you have. Maybe @Yvonne G could tag him for you.

T. graeca soussensis is no longer a valid taxa even though the common name “Souss Valley tortoise” is still accepted to some extent and applied to T. g. graeca. Taxonomically speaking, what was soussensis is now T. graeca graeca and the animal in the photos you’ve provided corresponds more with Testudo graeca marokkensis from a morphological standpoint. As with any “Greek” tortoise, not knowing exact locality info on an animal definitely throws a wrench into things.

Subspecies. − Based on molecular analyses, five subspecies are currently recognized in the
western clade of the Mediterranean Spur-thighed Tortoise: T. graeca graeca (southwestern
Morocco, previously referred to as T. graeca soussensis), T. graeca cyrenaica (northeastern Libya),
T. graeca marokkensis (northern and central Atlantic plain of Morocco), T. graeca nabeulensis
(Tunisia, extreme northeastern Algeria, northwestern Libya, introduced in Sardinia) and T.
graeca whitei (northeastern Morocco, western Algeria, peninsular Spain, introduced in Mallorca
Good info there, Chris. Thanks for the response.

Morocco?Marrakech

I HAVE ANOTHER TORTOISE WITHOUT SPUR ? THIS IS A TETSUDO GRAECA GRAECA

Attachments

• RONEY.jpg
    RONEY.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2