ID these 2 Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalturtle

5 Year Member
Anybody able to take a guess at the subspecies / location of the two Greeks pictured here? The smaller on the left is a male and the larger one is a female. Curious what their natural hibernation needs would be. Thanks

DSC00567.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not the one who usually makes these identifications, but in reading all the past I.D. posts, I think they will need pictures straight down and pictures of the under side.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wonder where's Robyn's input. She's getting pretty good at I.D.ing Greek tortoises.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm here now Yvonne. At first glance they do look like Goldens but that name is so over used. They are beautiful greeks though. But could you post some additional pics. one looking down from above it one of its plastron and one of it looking as if it is walking away from you. Thanks. That would really help us to ID them for you.

socalturtle

5 Year Member
DSC00566.JPGThanks for the help. Here's the top down photo. Will have to get the camera out for the others. One was found walking a street in Los Angeles. Unfortunately don't have any info on their orgin. Have had them each over a year, very healthy eaters with a lot of personality.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
They look like goldens to me....atleast the one on the right of the picture :D

socalturtle

5 Year Member
DSC00584.JPGDSC00586.JPGSorry for the delay in getting these other pictures up and thanks to everyone for their input. Here's two more shots of them. Any other thoughts on their subspecies and origin?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your female is a "Golden" greek and the male looks like a "Golden"/Antakyan cross. Neither one of them hibernate and usually get runny noses at temperatures under 60F.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Awh shucks Danny beat me too it. I really had this one right this time------Really :rolleyes:

socalturtle

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info you guys are good. Will try your skills on a different looking box turtle that was found walking the streets of Pasadena in the box forum. Is the golden x antakyan a naturally occuring integrade? He was found in LA years ago, passed on to someone else who had him for a few years then I ended up with him. Not sure how long greeks have been bred in captivity but if he was captive bred I would guess it was 10 years ago. Last winter was the first winter I had them and did not reduce their heat at all, not knowing what their natural winters were like.

Status
Not open for further replies.