ID and confirmation, please

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, all! Just wanted to know what these plants are and wanted to confirm #3. I think it's Black Madick. Thanks for any input! :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410867628.487978.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410867640.798780.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410867656.254837.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410867671.849849.jpg

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
2 looks like chrysanthemum to me. One way to tell is the way the leaf smells. Rub it or crush one. Feverfew has a bitter smell. Chrysanthemum - how to describe without saying it smells like a chrysanthemum? Like describing wine, a sharp tang... The flowers are another good identifier.

I could be wrong about ID. It's hard for me to ID by sight alone. Photos don't give a sense of scale, either.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
2 looks like chrysanthemum to me. One way to tell is the way the leaf smells. Rub it or crush one. Feverfew has a bitter smell. Chrysanthemum - how to describe without saying it smells like a chrysanthemum? Like describing wine, a sharp tang... The flowers are another good identifier.

I could be wrong about ID. It's hard for me to ID by sight alone. Photos don't give a sense of scale, either.
Thanks for trying! Yes, I know what chrysanthemum smells like. ;) I don't think that's what it was. It grown wild here; no flowers.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I think your first plant may be. "mullein" - Verbascum sp. Questionably edible.
The second looks more like a "wormwood" - Artemisia sp. to my eyes. Possibly edible. Not sure is the sure if they survive in Winterpeg :)
Agree the third is "black medic" - Medicago lupulina - edible, and a part of the natural diet of most Mediterranean tortoises.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I think your first plant may be. "mullein" - Verbascum sp. Questionably edible.
The second looks more like a "wormwood" - Artemisia sp. to my eyes. Possibly edible. Not sure is the sure if they survive in Winterpeg :)
Agree the third is "black medic" - Medicago lupulina - edible, and a part of the natural diet of most Mediterranean tortoises.
That's awesome! Thank you! I found them in my sister-in-law's property, just outside Winterpeg.