I want to know more about Manouria emys emys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I am curious to learn more about these, but information on them seems to be kind of scattered and leans a bit more towards the phayrei.

How big do the emys emys get? I read that it is about half the size of the phayrei, is that correct?

Who hear keeps them and what kind of diet do they thrive on? Fast growers? Would they over-winter in a large indoor enclosure?

Any good websites?

Tell me anything you want to take the time to type :p

Thanks!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The information you find on M. emys phayrei with the exception of size and range is the same as M. emys emys. I keep mine in a sheep waterer (aprox 4x3x1.5) on a mulch/humus/sphagrum substrat. They have a 12" terracotta plant saucer for drinking/wading and another with sphagrum/humus soaked as a wallow. I keep them at seventy to seventyfire degrees with a che at one end runnig eighty to eightyfive degrees. The light they get is ambient room light (they don't care for bright light). They do have a humid hide that the enjoy moving around the enclosure. I feed them dark greens four times a week and soft fruits three times a week and every other week I replace one of the fruit feedings with a protein source. I heavily mist them morning and night which will inspire them to feed. This setup is for two two year old Mee. You'll find them to be very respondive to you (in fact littte beggers).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The care sounds very similar to my Hingebacks, or other forest type torts. I have a great summer climate for those types (temps rarely above 85, with 60+ humidity.)

I actually have a trough that is the exact same size, it is what I initially kept my Hingebacks in (until there were too many, lol.)

Thank you a lot for the links Yvonne.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
After I posted I saw who asked. Ya, care just like your hingies but less protien and they are not shy in least. Cadillac should be ideal for them outside.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks :) We may be moving back downstate soon, to the family farm, which will open up a whole lot of possibilities for me space wise. The climate down there is about the same, but the winters are a bit shorter and milder. The property has beautiful wooded areas, wet areas, it is just perfect for forest torts, so I want to stick with the type, but I want something bigger and more outgoing than the Hingies. I am thinking about possibly Forsten's and Redfoots, too. We shall see ;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My Forsten's are bumpin' and bitin'. I'll see.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is awesome, good luck! My Hingies have been doing the dance too, so fingers are crossed :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have three small emys and they were outgoing sweethearts from day one. Very much like keeping your Hingebacks. I know I am eagerly awaiting getting to see them making their leaf piles and maybe someday, a nest.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I'm going to do it, lol. I have to get the Russian pens finished, and get the second Hingeback enclosure done, and then I am going to look into getting 3 of the emys.

I went ahead and emailed Vic, he sent me a caresheet and some other info, and I really want to own this species.

Funny, Jacqui, our tastes seem to run pretty close to the same flavor, lol.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kyryah said:
Funny, Jacqui, our tastes seem to run pretty close to the same flavor, lol.

Kinda scarey for you, isn't it??:p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL!!! I think it might be more scary for you, in the long run :D Me, I'm just the crazy tattooed and pierced reptile girl :p What's your excuse? :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ummm I was here first, so I don't need an excuse?? I have a tat (a cute turtle) and does an ear piercing count? (only one set, but hey, it's a piercing! :p) Okay my excuse is.... I am just me! :p

BTW Itort (Larry) see the above posts also has Homes, emys, and redfoots, ect.., So he's kinda as crazy as us. ;)

kyryah said:
LOL!!! I think it might be more scary for you, in the long run :D Me, I'm just the crazy tattooed and pierced reptile girl :p What's your excuse? :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HAH! Okay, no excuse required. :) Well just leave it that we are all completely nuts and call it a day, lol!!!

(My ear piercings are (well, one of the 7 in each ear) 3/4", nose pierced, tongue is gauged to a 2, and I have, oh, just a few more tats than you, lol. I can wear my hair up in a mohawk or down and long :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.