I think my Leopard Tortoise is acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
Hello, my name is Chelsea, I had a desert tortoise a long time ago when I was 8 and I just purchased a baby leopard tortoise 2 days ago, I am now 25. What I am trying to say is I have not had a tortoise for a while, and I am unfamiliar with their mannerisms. My baby sometimes moves his legs repetitively but does not actually walk, he does it while he is sitting. And he also sometimes puffs put his neck when he breaths kind of like a frog. I am not sure if I am just being paranoid, I just feel like the puffing of the neck might be an early sign of a respiratory issue or something. He is eating, and walking and acting normal besides the things I mentioned. He is feed a variety of foods, getting supplemented with calcium powder with d3 every third day, his basking spot is 103-106 at times, and the rest of his cage is 75-84 depending on the area. He has a water source, I soak him twice daily, and mist his cage for humidity. I just want to know if leopard tortoises will sometimes breathe heavily like I mentioned due to stress or due to illness. He was shipped to me from AZ and he had a heating pad in the box with him but he was cold when I got him. He was shipped overnight. Thanks for your help in the matter. He eyes look clear, and I don't see any drainage from his nares or eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 72

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Sounds normal to me. Tortoises can't use their diaphram to inflate their lungs, so the leg pumping helps them. You don't see it much as they mature.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
What it sounds like you are describing is normal breathing motions. As they inhale, their neck and legs may move some, especially if they are taking deep breaths or if they are scared. As long as there is no wheezing or sounds of difficulty breathing, it is fine.

cesktw0

5 Year Member
Oh, I did not know that. That is interesting! I feel like I learn something new everyday. I honestly am a worry wart and want my tortoise to be healthy, I am not trying to annoy anyone with my questions.

No, he does not have any wheezing or abnormal sounds.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) sounds good to me too. Except, he has pinkish dot growth. :p:D Just kidding. The only thing I can say. Check out the threads below in my post. They are all full of great info from Tom on raising smooth sulcatas and leopards, pretty much the same kind of care for both.

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
hi and welcome, i also have 3 baby leos and all of mine do the same thing .
very normal! cute baby what did you name him/her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everything you mentioned sounds okay to me. Although I don't think you need to soak twice a day.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine also moves its legs in and out, usually when startled. As others have said it's just breathing hard and normal.

As far as soaking twice a day, even though it may not be necessary, I'm considering doing this. Only because my leopard poops twice a day now. It will go in the morning soak, and by late afternoon I've been finding more in the enclosure. This only started within the past couple weeks. Sometimes it's under the basking light, but I usually find it in the water dish. I guess it associates water with pooping now.

I think mine has an especially high metabolism though. It's growing very rapidly compared to others I've seen on the board. Not sure if this is good or bad. It hatched from the ground in Arizona, and I'm not sure if this makes a difference compared to torts that have been hatched in incubators.

Status
Not open for further replies.