I think i was lied to...

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Thank you so much! I can't be without this cute little guy now...
I TOTALLY understand!!! I only had Morla a bit over a month when she was Dx with CKD, and I cried all the way from the vet's (I left her there overnight for some intensive Tx), back to work, and AT work! Then I cuddled her all the next day after picking her up, and have spoiled her rotten since (and gone broke! Lol) helping her stabilize and extend her life/quality since! She is worth EVERY PENNY !

We're praying to the Powers That Be that TT just sucks at telling the truth and your baby is just a very young guy! You can try getting some Oxbow Critical Care too (it is like a fine powder) and sprinkle it on his moist food (so it sticks). It has great nutrients and is for critically Ill torts. It may help ur little one gain some weight/grow.

Best wishes and please keep us posted! ?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Recently buying new baby redfoot torts was actually really terrifying ! I wasn't happy until I did tons of research first....

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just got the scale so I haven't been able to see what it was before... all I have been able to do is track the growth on his shell... the first pic was right when I got him, the next is a month ish later, and the last one was just 2 or 3 days ago.
I know he was started dry because they said 50% was what the humidity should always be. I learned within a few days what you guys say and he's been bumped since then...

I really hope not ? it's amazing how fast you fall in love with these guys... how often should I weigh since we are watching for the hurdle jump? Just the weekly weigh in? Should I add something to his diet that could possibly help him gain or just keep with what he's been getting and hope for the best?

I hope they were just lying and sent me a much younger tortoise than they claim... ?

Opuntia cactus seems to really stimulate eating and weight gain. Best of luck. He is a very beautiful tortoise and I can only imagine how much you already love him.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
What a little cutie.
Thank you!!
I TOTALLY understand!!! I only had Morla a bit over a month when she was Dx with CKD, and I cried all the way from the vet's (I left her there overnight for some intensive Tx), back to work, and AT work! Then I cuddled her all the next day after picking her up, and have spoiled her rotten since (and gone broke! Lol) helping her stabilize and extend her life/quality since! She is worth EVERY PENNY !

We're praying to the Powers That Be that TT just sucks at telling the truth and your baby is just a very young guy! You can try getting some Oxbow Critical Care too (it is like a fine powder) and sprinkle it on his moist food (so it sticks). It has great nutrients and is for critically Ill torts. It may help ur little one gain some weight/grow.

Best wishes and please keep us posted! ?
Its definitely scary!! Thank you so much for your positive thoughts and prayers! I will look into that for sure!
Opuntia cactus seems to really stimulate eating and weight gain. Best of luck. He is a very beautiful tortoise and I can only imagine how much you already love him.
I ordered cactus chips from Kapidolo Farms along with some others because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding those here... ? I hope that will work! Thank you so much! Thankfully he eats really well as of right now especially if its dandelion lol! Thats his favorite! He's kind of picky though so I've been slowly introducing hibiscus, mulberry leaves and all that, but so far he's a snob lol! I'll figure out how to get him to eat those cactus though!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Thank you!!

Its definitely scary!! Thank you so much for your positive thoughts and prayers! I will look into that for sure!

I ordered cactus chips from Kapidolo Farms along with some others because I'm having a REALLY hard time finding those here... ? I hope that will work! Thank you so much! Thankfully he eats really well as of right now especially if its dandelion lol! Thats his favorite! He's kind of picky though so I've been slowly introducing hibiscus, mulberry leaves and all that, but so far he's a snob lol! I'll figure out how to get him to eat those cactus though!
See what happens when he starts crushing that mazuri

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Thank you!!

I don't know where you live but hopefully they maybe they have them at the store I usually pick them in the neighborhood and try and find at least one that's almost half inch thick and then carefully filet both sides of skin off and cut the inner meat up into little tiny quarter inch cubes they love it and it's easier for them to eat it that way

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I don't know where you live but hopefully they maybe they have them at the store I usually pick them in the neighborhood and try and find at least one that's almost half inch thick and then carefully filet both sides of skin off and cut the inner meat up into little tiny quarter inch cubes they love it and it's easier for them to eat it that way
I've looked locally, but I haven't looked at a specialty store yet. And that's a good idea!

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
So I have had my SA Leopard Ghido for about a month and a half now, and I just got a scale yesterday night and weighed him today.

They told me he was hatched the first week of October so that would make him 7 months old...

I'm worried because he's only 2 1/2 inches and weighs 53g. He eats like a pig, and his temps and humidity are right in range of where @Tom says they should be... but isn't that really small for a supposedly 7 month old leo? I got him from Tortoise Town so I do t really know what to think. I don't trust them for care or business practices...

I do know he was started at 50% humidity where I got him and they fed him mazuri and lettuce...

He eats wheatgrass, dandelion leaves and sometimes flowers, bock choy, arugula, butter lettuce, escarole, thistle leaves, cat grass, a little kale... he gets calcium/vitamin/mineral powder sprinkled on x2 a week and zoomed grassland tortoise pellets watered down and mixed In every 2 days or so. I have to be sneaky with the pellets because he doesn't eat them otherwise.

What do you guys think?
I've been worried about weight gain myself recently until somebody gave me this video which really makes sense you should watch it it's not that long and it's informative about how to weigh your turtle

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I've been worried about weight gain myself recently until somebody gave me this video which really makes sense you should watch it it's not that long and it's informative about how to weigh your turtle

8 min! Holly sh*t haha i got ADHD lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city

Oh yea! I've actually watched that!