I need help with sexing these torts!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I recently acquired 6 tortoises 2 males and 4 female Greek tortoises. Heres some pics of the tortoises I dont think it is 2 males and 4 females and I need to know what they are to exchange them for other females. Im only putting 5 of the tortoises pictures because one is a definite male. Please let me know what you think.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm having a hard time viewing the pics...I'lltry again later. What type of Greeks are these?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
They supposedly came out of Jordan and I dont know whats wrong with the pics its perfectly fine for me.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The fingers are just grabbing the tips of the tails I thought that it would be the same to tell without the hand there. These tortoises are the hardest things ive seen to sex all the tails are small and virtually no concave shells.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Also does anyone need a view of the carapaces of the tortoises?

Also has anyone heard of female greeks ramming and mounting other tortoises?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
All but the one on the left in the first pic look female to me.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thats exactly what I was thinking Art but a few of them that are supposedly females have been ramming and mounting eachother so im confused.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
They all look like female to me.
A while back my two female greeks started ramming each other and mounting, mouth open, squeeking the whole deal... and I was freaking out but turns out, females especially with different sizes and what not, will try to declare who is the dominate one. So once that's settled they will just go their own ways and continue doing their own thing. Mine did it for a few days and now they are back to normal.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes I have heard of that too but mine are doing it to the huge males I have as well so I am very confused. Only 2 of the 6 have not been ramming and mounting when Im out there and one of them is the biggest one in the pen so I would think that she would be mounting the smaller ones.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
They all look female to me as well. I have a question, did you take the picture with the camera in your mouth? Both of your hands are on the torts in the first two pictures! hahaha

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
ha ha no there was someone else lol that would be insane if I get take a pic with my mouth and holding the torts. Id have to win an award or something for how much these guys squirm lol.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The 2 pictures of 2 tortoises are all females. The single picture is a male. :D
Oh females do almost as much ramming and mounting as the males. Either the females are trying to sort out dominence or some of them could be gravid. :)

Danny

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well im just really confused in the first picture the one on the left is supposed to be a male and the rest females. Are you sure about the sexes danny or would you need other pictures from different angles?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No I'm pretty sure :p Her tail is a bit longer than usual, but her scute shape says female all the way. I have a female with a tail that big and she lays very nice eggs :D

Danny

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hmm very interesting and yes there has been crazy mounting and ramming all day every day and I have been getting eggs :). In males does the shell flare out at the back end like the marginateds?

Status
Not open for further replies.