I need a little bit of help as a new tort owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
Hello! I've just gotten my first tortoise for Christmas. I've tried feeding him Spinach, carrots, tortoise food from the store and an assortment of other things. But he'll only eat iceberg lettuce. I feel like he's a kid that will ONLY eat macaroni. I think this might be a bad thing because I've heard that iceberg lettuce really has no nutritional value. Should I be concerned and if so what should I do about it?:(

slowpoke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado springs, colorado
slowpoke dont like carrots at all , but he loves the spring mix , as for the tortoise food that they sale at the store i dont know much about that , i never have givin mine that... just trial and see what he likes and give him Calcium and D3 on his food every other day if your going to keep him inside ... i use a zilla food spray vitamin supplement on every other feeding ... do you have pics of your home for him every one here loves pics .....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Meggan:

Just curious...why did you even offer him lettuce? Go to the store, in the produce section, look for the packaged lettuces and one called Spring Mix. Or, if they have Santa Barbara mix, that's good too. Then buy a head/bunch of ONE of the following:

escarole, endive, turnip greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, beet greens, etc.

Whenever one bunch is gone, then buy a different one next time, but your base will be the Spring Mix. Don't even buy the lettuce. He can't eat it if you don't offer it to him. :D

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :)
Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value :( Russian tortoises are grazers and enjoy broad leaf plants. The best diet is a variety of weeds leaves and flowers. Dandelions is a favorite. For a detailed diet information :http://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm for a list of edible plants: http://www.russiantortoise.org/edible plants.htm and http://www.russiantortoise.org/plant photos.htm
Most grocery stores have a decent selection of greens that Russians readly eat like Romaine lettuce, Red and green leaf lettuce, Endive, Escarole, Radicchio, Chicory, Turnip greens, Kale, Collards and Spring mix. Hope this information helps you :)
Happy New Year and best wishes with your new tortoise :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
bawksbawks said:
Hello! I've just gotten my first tortoise for Christmas. I've tried feeding him Spinach, carrots, tortoise food from the store and an assortment of other things. But he'll only eat iceberg lettuce. I feel like he's a kid that will ONLY eat macaroni. I think this might be a bad thing because I've heard that iceberg lettuce really has no nutritional value. Should I be concerned and if so what should I do about it?:(

Stick to Yvonne's advice exactly. Just don't offer the iceberg. It is really no good for anyone.
He might hold out for awhile and not eat, but it won't hurt him. Soak him every day for a week, then 2-3 x per week in shallow, warm water for 15" or so, to keep him hydrated.
Tell us what lighting you are using and what the temps are basking and cool side of the enclosure.
Gradually he will realize that the good stuff is FOOD and off you will go with him! Wait until Spring when the weeds start growing!

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
Thanks! I will try out that spring mix with the one veggie and see how that works. I offered him iceberg lettuce because I get free salads at work and had it with me.

as for his enclosure. I get up at 10am everyday turn up his heat to 85 and he is also in a window and gets sunlight. I go back to bed until 1pm get up feed him for about 15-20 mins. I let him bask for awhile. Then take him out for awhile and let him run around the living room. Then in the evening before work I turn his enclosure down to a cool basking temp of around 80 until I get home from work pretty late and turn his light off and let him sleep at around 72-75 degrees then repeat the whole thing in the morning. I'm getting a bigger enclosure this weekend for him.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
bawksbawks said:
Thanks! I will try out that spring mix with the one veggie and see how that works. I offered him iceberg lettuce because I get free salads at work and had it with me.

as for his enclosure. I get up at 10am everyday turn up his heat to 85 and he is also in a window and gets sunlight. I go back to bed until 1pm get up feed him for about 15-20 mins. I let him bask for awhile. Then take him out for awhile and let him run around the living room. Then in the evening before work I turn his enclosure down to a cool basking temp of around 80 until I get home from work pretty late and turn his light off and let him sleep at around 72-75 degrees then repeat the whole thing in the morning. I'm getting a bigger enclosure this weekend for him.

I would suggest to get timers for your light system , and a basking spot of at least 95 degrees with the cool side mid to high 70's , and have it to where at night it drops down to the high 60's , what kind of substrate are you using ...

bawksbawks

5 Year Member
I'm using coconut husk to keep it real humid. Once he have the bigger one we're going to move to the 1/2 sand 1/2 dirt and set him up a little garden and such. grow some dandys on a platform for him so he can hide under it for a shelter

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
and he is also in a window and gets sunlight.

I hope that the exposure to the window is only while you are there and are monitoring him....please take heed to my warning...window seats are not a great thing.....I would suggest you not allow the entire enclosure to have exposure to window...but better 1/3 of the tank and the rest parallel to the solid wall---the temps in an enclosure (especially if glass or black material) can increase rapidly with sun reflection or greenhouse affect, also make sure to re-evaluate the same spots heat when your warm months come on and be sure to watch how the sun moves on/off of this spot...if not done, this can prove fatal. I apologize---do not mean to be all Doom and Gloom--but know this information and my stomach sinks every time I see that a reptile has a window seat :D

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forum and WE LOVE PICS :p

slowpoke

5 Year Member
bawksbawks said:
I'm using coconut husk to keep it real humid. Once he have the bigger one we're going to move to the 1/2 sand 1/2 dirt and set him up a little garden and such. grow some dandys on a platform for him so he can hide under it for a shelter

i wouldnt use to much sand maybe a 70% dirt and 30 % sand if that ... and whats the humidity set right now in you habitat , if its an adult you dont want more than 30% humidity ... and yes we love pictures if you can post some of your habitat so we can take a look ...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, make sure the new substrate is mostly topsoil with a much smaller amount of sand, if you use sand.
Does he have an MVB for heat and UVB/UVA light? Even though the window may be light, your tort is not getting the necessary UV to promote healthy growth. UV does not pass through glass.
A ZooMed Powersun 100w would work well, in a light fixture with a ceramic base.
Angela is right, window areas can get very hot, so monitor this.
Russians do very well, even prefer, cooling off at night, even down to 60-65, so no night heat is needed.
Sounds like you are spending a lot of time with him, which is great. Hopefully he can spend some time outside in the warmer months in a secure enclosure, they love this! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.