I might have an issue (won't sleep in hide)

Molly0415

Charlie, my Russian tort, has never slept under his log. For the five months that I've had him, he has slept in the corner of his enclosure! I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I'm curious. Please respond ASAP.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Not a problem as I see it. Some sleep in hides or logs, others don't. As long as he is eating and acting normal otherwise, then no worries.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can always try putting his log in that corner. If he sleeps some place else, the. I would say he doesn't like the log and I would get him something else to try. Not for any reason really, except I like mine to have the security of being hidden. If he had deep enough substrate, he would probably bury himself.

StaceyJ

Boston MA
I have a log but it seemed like it was too low. I don't think he could fit! So I raised the sides up, and he's more willing to go in now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Logs are not great hides anyway. Fine as part of your cage furnishings, but they don't offer much security. Try an upside down black dishwashing tub from Walmart. They only cost about $2. Cut out a door hole just big enough for your tortoise.

I would also add more substrate so your baby can dig in more.

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I have had my Hermann only since the weekend and he will literally stop and sleep in the wide open in the corner. EVERY night so far I have been in a panic and thought he has died! 11.JPG He is an independant thing!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Hermann's has NEVER slept in any of the flowerpot hides I set out for her. She prefers to dig into her substrate or half-dig under a plant! Now that she's outside for the summer she likes to sleep under any low growing plants or nestled deep in the long grass!