I left my Russian tortoise in water overnight.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTortoises

5 Year Member
so about 3 months ago i was soaking my 2 tortoises in warm water before i went to bed. and i soaked one then did the other one. but the 2nd one i did i forgot about him and woke up with a scratching noise. I quick took him out dryd him and put him under the heat lamp. before i left him in water over night he was very very veruy active, was always walking around the enclosure when i took him out side he would walk and walk and walk. but ever since i left him in water hes very inactive......... All he does now is sleep,burrow. when hes in the enclosure he just goes in the grass like (the tortoises sleeping area really) and just sleeps all day all night. i even have to bring him out of there for him to eat.when i take him out side he just burrows in the grass and sits there ( before he wouldnt stop walking around now i cant get him to walk around at all ). so pretty much he was a active tortoise then i left him in water over night and now hes not active at all. dont try telling me its normal behavior either cause i know its not i know tortoises burrow. So can someone pleave help me i am really worried about bout him and if he will ever be returning back to his normal active self. please help me pleaaaaase i hate my self for leaving him in there. once again please help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Don't be too hard on yourself. A year or two ago I remember someone else doing the same thing. Give him some time to get over the event. Make sure you double check his temps. Is he eating and what is he eating. Have you given him a nice warm soak since?

Penn

5 Year Member
He's now a Russian Turtle [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] I'm sure he's doing awesome. I bet you'll never forget again though.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What was the room temperature when you left him in the water?

Was he in there for 6 hours or more?

What are his temperatures both day and night basking spot and cool side?

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I'm hope someone with more knowledge steps in but I hope he's ok

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sitting in cool water overnight caused his core temp to cool down. It might help if you could add a light over whatever habitat you have him in so he can sit there under the light and warm back up inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.