I just bought a HUGE tortoise enclosure..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachael

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
photo1_zps41b3025d.jpg

what now?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You just need to make sure that the torts cant escape, I use cinder blocks. They dont look beautiful but I have never had torts escape.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
bigred said:
You just need to make sure that the torts cant escape, I use cinder blocks. They dont look beautiful but I have never had torts escape.

The contractor is there right now constructing something reptile and predator proof.

Not sure yet. Im gonna partition it off to make room for hopefully some texas torts(?? fingers crossed one shows up needing love) but still let my russians cruise around in their own zone.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I see your in Calif. lots of sun your torts will enjoy it. Did you just buy a house

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
rachael said:

Congrats Rachael...formerly known as finleafeater! Just let that WORKAHOLIC know that I say 'he's the lucky one!' ;)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
bigred said:

You've obviously never dealt with Russians and/or Greeks.... they scale cinder blocks like Spiderman. Haha but yes I use cinder blocks as well.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Arizona Sulcata said:
bigred said:

You've obviously never dealt with Russians and/or Greeks.... they scale cinder blocks like Spiderman. Haha but yes I use cinder blocks as well.

Never had either one of those but I had box turtles at one time. They would climb the plants and hop over the wall. But they still couldnt get out of the backyard. Ive had my redfoot bigred hop over cinder blocks. You really almost need a double barrier with some torts

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock doesn't even concider a cinderblock as anything more than a bunp in the road! ...but.... backed up with that gate and it'd sheetcover as a sight block, it's do-able! I'm all for Leopards too and with the size, they would be a perfect fit! Just block off 1/3 of it and turn it into a garden for your Russians.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing whats going to go in there.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
My guess is you went into the yard, saw what a great tortoise area that could become, and decided to buy the house! :D:D

The wall and patio edge will work very well to prevent escapes. All you have to do is work on securing the fencing. I am sure your contractor will have some ideas. Looks like there is patio behind it, so you shouldn't have to dig deep in that area, just some kind of short 'wall', whether cement block 2 high with a cap, or stained wood with a cap, etc.

How very exciting!

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
lynnedit said:
My guess is you went into the yard, saw what a great tortoise area that could become, and decided to buy the house! :D:D

The wall and patio edge will work very well to prevent escapes. All you have to do is work on securing the fencing. I am sure your contractor will have some ideas. Looks like there is patio behind it, so you shouldn't have to dig deep in that area, just some kind of short 'wall', whether cement block 2 high with a cap, or stained wood with a cap, etc.

How very exciting!

This isnt far off from the truth at all... the real estate agent was like "heres an excellent dog run or garden entertainment area" and we looked at her and almost in sync said " great for tortoises!" and she was so confused she replied with "oh no we dont get very many wild tortoises around here so you dont have to worry"......:):rolleyes:

tom! Im sure youre all for the leopards too?:p:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.