I have two options

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanvict

5 Year Member
I've still been searching for russian tortoises locally in my area and I've come across two choices:

1) Someone who is a 270-280mi roundtrip drive away from me and is offering russians for $50/each. Considering that's a full tank of gas that adds about $30 to my personal cost. you could say that becomes $80 for one or $130 for two which is how many he says he has left.

here is a picture he sent me. he said there is some discoloration on the shell. i don't know which of the two of these pictured are the ones left but they are both male he says. it's not the clearest of pictures but i didn't detect anything serious from a first glance.

5vcbp4.jpg

2) A new petco that opened up just this week 12mi away and they have some russians but are $99/each.

I've been scouring every option available for the past month and these are the only choices I currently have. Assuming I don't prefer to wait, which choice should I go for?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
You can google for one and have it shipped.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
OOPS! I just dropped my dollar...can I have it back, please?:p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You can google Reptile Rescue just to make sure there aren't some Russians out there just waiting for a loving home with you. The rescue here in Colorado always seems to have a few Russians.

I've heard that Petsmart tortoises are almost always wild caught and therefore more likely to carry a heavy parasite load which will mean several vet visits to treat and cure.

I have to ask you though: are you aware that any tortoise you get will require an investment of at least several hundred dollars to set up in an appropriate enclosure, with healthy food, optimal lighting/warmth, and enough space to grow and exercise in? Tortoises are not low-maintenance pets.

Good luck and I hope you find the right tortoise for you. Please browse around this site for information and advice that will help you along.

khanvict

5 Year Member
Missy said:
You can google for one and have it shipped.

my preference has been not to have it shipped so that narrows my field a lot.

DeanS said:
OOPS! I just dropped my dollar...can I have it back, please?:p

getting your dollar back is not an option. :D

khanvict

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
You can google Reptile Rescue just to make sure there aren't some Russians out there just waiting for a loving home with you. The rescue here in Colorado always seems to have a few Russians.

I've heard that Petsmart tortoises are almost always wild caught and therefore more likely to carry a heavy parasite load which will mean several vet visits to treat and cure.

I have to ask you though: are you aware that any tortoise you get will require an investment of at least several hundred dollars to set up in an appropriate enclosure, with healthy food, optimal lighting/warmth, and enough space to grow and exercise in? Tortoises are not low-maintenance pets.

Good luck and I hope you find the right tortoise for you. Please browse around this site for information and advice that will help you along.

for whatever reason i just prefer to deal locally because i can physically see the tortoise before hand and even some of the listings i've come across for out of state shelters say they do not ship anyway.

this was the only petco/petsmart in the area that i know of that even has a tortoise of any kind available. every other one has just been carrying box turtles so it makes me assume that they are not very prevalent here in this area in the wild?

ive been researching, asking questions, have the enclosure set-up, and i feel adequately prepared to take on the responsibility.

DeanS said:
Oh well! I tried:D

never hurts to try. it's not a dollar but that's my two cents.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would go with the road trip option myself, petco russians are usually full of parasites which result in extra vet bills, just my view I am not slandering petco

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'd go with the road trip option as well.
You'll be able to chat with the breeder and take in
all kinds of info. Actually see how the torts have been
kept and what they have been eating etc..
Also too if your not happy you don't have to buy, pet care is
all about patience, the right tort will come around.
Good luck with your hunt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did "the guy" get his from? The pic is fuzzy, but they look like they might be wild caught too. Maybe he bought his from his local Petco or they were given to him by someone else who did. If the Petco ones are healthy, active and eating, I save the time and road trip. BTW, your life will be a lot easier with just one male Russian, unless you are planning on two separate indoor AND outdoor enclosures. And just what is the "shell discoloration" on that one? Coulb be some of those great pine shavings that your not supposed to use or it could be scarring leftover from a dog encounter. Before I drove all that way I'd like to see a clear pic and know exactly what that is.

With either option, I'd get a fecal done at your local vet, to check for parasites.

Good luck either way.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Did you hear back from that email I forwarded to you, khanvict? He/she responded to my inquiry in about 45 \minutes, so I'm thinking is in the mood to sell.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Those first ones are wild caught based on the price and size and shell condition--I would be very wary if they call themselves a breeder. What about calling local breeders who you can find reviews of online, visiting a reptile expo within driving distance, etc? I wouldn't buy wild caught but that is my personal choice. I would get a check up and fecal test no matter what the tort's background. I think you have more than 2 options. Don't be impatient. Look on Craig's List, pet finder, and other websites, as well as shelters and rescues, reptile expos, and breeders. I would rather pay $250 and a day's drive to have a yearling captive bred tort than $50 for a tort that is wild caught and has a potential for more issues later on (that costs more than $200). A tort lives 50-100 years, so don't make a rush decision you'd regret. I strongly disagree with supporting the tort importing trade. They stuff as many just over 4 inch torts they can in crates to shop them and many die during the trip.

Oh, and the difference of a couple hundred dollars when purchasing your tort shouldn't matter because if you do the right thing you'll be paying thousands over its life for the right food, supplies, vet care, etc.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
google reptile show or expo in a large city close buy. You will be surprised how many and how close they are.

khanvict

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your input! I got the russian from petco. He/she seems very active and healthy and I like the tortoise very much so I have no complaints at this point. Will post pictures later. Special thanks to Terry for letting me bug him via e-mail!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Congrats! Name yet? Looking forward to tort and enclosure pics! I recommend that you find a tort vet and at a minimum get a fecal test, but preferably also get the tort's general health checked out and establish the tort as a patient in case of an emergency down the road (they will get you in quicker as an established patient).

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
khanvict said:
Thank you all for your input! I got the russian from petco. He/she seems very active and healthy and I like the tortoise very much so I have no complaints at this point. Will post pictures later. Special thanks to Terry for letting me bug him via e-mail!

LOL...never a problem - ever! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.