Been told today our tortoise two back legs need removing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas130

5 Year Member
Today our vet old us our tortoise legs are badly infected and need removing and be offer two choices

put to sleep
or remove the legs

I'm not sure which one is for the best.

Would it still have quality of life if it's two back legs are missing

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
RE: Been told today our tortoise two backs need removing

WOW, That is tough. The infection is not treatable? What type and age?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...

I'm sorry. This must be hard for you. What was the cause of the infection?

thomas130

5 Year Member

It's a Herman it we lost around 6 months ago in the garden and found a couple of weeks ago. We have to get a tube inside her stomach because he was too weak to eat. That issue is now sorted and wants eat for itself.

Apparently it was trap and try to get itself our but hurt its legs in the process. They left it a couple of weeks but now have to make this choice

He is around 8 years old.

M

Maggie Cummings

I *think* I would possibly amputate the legs and make a wheeled thing so he could get around and then see if he was living alright. I have several chelonia now who only have 3 legs and they live fine. So maybe you need to see if your guy could live with only 2 legs. You could fasten 2 furniture slides where his legs used to be and the slides would make it easier for his front legs to pull him around. They don't use their back legs to back up so I think it might work. So I'm just saying possibly you could amputate the legs and when he was all healed then fasten some sort of an apparatus to make it easier for him to get around and see what the quality of his life would be. Mostly tortoises live in pens that are flat so pulling himself around on a flat plain would be fairly easy. I think the furniture slides would be the way to go.
I think if it were me that's what I would do. And if you did that and you were having trouble with him you could turn him in to my rescue and I would take him. I personally don't believe in putting any living thing to death. That's a hard one for me, but I wouldn't want him to be in pain or depressed about a crappy life either. I certainly see the dilemma you are having and if there's any thing I can do to help please don't hesitate to call on me. I operate a small rescue in Oregon and most of my animals are missing eyes or limbs, so I sure would take him.
If I can help please let me know...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Do a GOOGLE search for "tortoise on wheels" You'll see many examples, pictures and videos of tortoises that have wheels instead of feet.

Good luck with your tortoise. I hope it works out ok for you. But only you can really make that choice. Its probably a pretty expensive process.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

If it was only one leg I would say amputate and go from there a lot of them get by on 3 legs, but losing both is tough and it may not be able to get around easily. If you can afford it I would go for the operation and then see how it does with both legs gone, if it seem like it is enjoying life and getting around then don't put it down. With my animals it is all about quality of life. Still a tough choice

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California

maggie3fan said:
They don't use their back legs to back up so I think it might work.

Mine definitely use their rear legs to back up. In fact, they primarily use their rear legs to back up.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't see mine back up at all. Regardless, he could still live a good life without his back legs. I suggested using furniture slides like I put on a desert tort who was missing a front leg and it worked great for her. I think using furniture slides for his back legs would work good also. CtTortoise provided a link to a story about a box turtle using furniture slides for both front legs. I see mine using both front feet to adjust food while they are eating, so I would think missing both front legs would be hard. I still think, backing up or not a tort could live without his back legs.

I know my Sulcata does not back up, when he gets to the end of the fence he climbs up the fence to turn around... maybe desert tortoises are different...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

To be honest my CDT does not back up at all, at least from what I have observed.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California

I am so sorry, a very hard decision indeed. What about a second opinion? Does your vet have tortie experience? We had a big scare with my tortie formerly know as Daisy Lou and the first vet lacked tortie experience and said surgery, the second more tortie knowledgable vet said lets try these options first. I am glad I went for the second opinion!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree to get a second opinion unless its dreadfully obvious or your vet has previously proven him/herself. If it were my tort, it wouldn't hurt our family financially, and I was sure the vet was experienced enough to do the surgery properly and keep the tort in as minimal of pain as possible, I'd go for the amputation. I think putting an animal down should be a last option, although I understand how costly it can be. Both options are quite heartbreaking. So sorry you have to go through this.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Omg, I really feel for you both,
But don't give up on him.
If he is eating it's because he hasn't lost the will to live.
He is still a youngster and animals have an amazing ability to accept amputations and get on with things as normal,contrary to humans.
We have dogs at our clinic that only have two legs, and a tort that lost one of it's front legs curtsey of a rat,
She lives her life to the full,she has a healthy weight at a good age of 40 ish. the only thing is she does not hibernate anymore especially after been attacked by a rat.
Give the little fella a chance, he deserves it.
The wheels are pretty easy to make, you can get the plans of the Internet.

Good luck.:)

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
A second opinion is always a smart thing to do BUT if you get different advice, here is something to think about. If you are dealing with an out of control osteomyelitis (infection of the bone) or an infection that is migrating between the muscle fascial planes and you decide to go with a second opinion and they recommend antibiotics, you run the risk of it becoming a non-surgical case and will only be left with euthanasia as an option. If you choose antibiotic therapy, make sure to keep a close eye on it and do regular follow-up exams to make sure that you always keep surgery as an option. I don't see any reason a tort with no back legs cannot have a full, happy life.

shiwolfe

5 Year Member
sunny southern Colorado
Poor guy :( I know you haven't made your decision yet, but just throwing this out there as possible, easy option maybe some lego wheels? Doubt it would be too difficult to rig something up? Good luck on your decision and keep us updated.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i am very sorry for you. hard one. just wanted to say i have seen a tortoise picture of a red foot named tonka, after the toy trucks. tonka lost his left front foot & they took apart a tonka truck& put the wheels under the tort.he took to it. rolls around every where! good luck. lindy

thomas130

5 Year Member
Just to let you know

After speaking to vet we decided to have him put down. The vet agreed that having both legs would be too cruel and he was in pain. He love digging etc so to denied him that would be wrong.

Thanks for your support
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.