I am looking for a tortoise for northern Virginia

devontortoise

Location (City and/or State)
McLean Virginia
Hi!! I am new here. I have been looking for a tortoise, i am a beginner, i have no experience with tortoises but I have had many pets. I live in Northern Virginia and I want a tortoise that will go outside when possible. I have done research but not in any specific one. I know people on this website have experience so I would really appreciate some advice!! Thank you!!!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I would suggest reading through the species specific forums here on TFO.

I live with three species of tortoise, Redfoot, Russian, and Black Mountain, and the one (of those) I'd recommend for a first-timer is a Russian... they're hardy and personable and pretty easy to find in pet stores or on Craigslist (where two of mine have come from as rescues).

Obviously, there are lots of kinds of tortoises, and your lifestyle or taste may differ from mine, so take your time looking through the threads and pictures before taking the plunge.

This is a great place to learn about tortoise... there are a ton of knowledgable people here (I'm not one of them, just an interested amateur) who can help you make a good home for your new tortoise.

Jamie

devontortoise

McLean Virginia
I would suggest reading through the species specific forums here on TFO.

I live with three species of tortoise, Redfoot, Russian, and Black Mountain, and the one (of those) I'd recommend for a first-timer is a Russian... they're hardy and personable and pretty easy to find in pet stores or on Craigslist (where two of mine have come from as rescues).

Obviously, there are lots of kinds of tortoises, and your lifestyle or taste may differ from mine, so take your time looking through the threads and pictures before taking the plunge.

This is a great place to learn about tortoise... there are a ton of knowledgable people here (I'm not one of them, just an interested amateur) who can help you make a good home for your new tortoise.

Jamie
Thank you so much!! I would really like a tortoise with a great personality and like crawling around and is easy to take care of, any suggestions?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank you so much!! I would really like a tortoise with a great personality and like crawling around and is easy to take care of, any suggestions?

I'd check Craigslist for Russian Tortoises within 50-100 miles... I bet you'll find at least one.

They'll need some TLC once they come home with you, and will ignore you (and food) for a while (they hate change), but should be fine once they settle.

Jamie

devontortoise

McLean Virginia
I'd check Craigslist for Russian Tortoises within 50-100 miles... I bet you'll find at least one.

They'll need some TLC once they come home with you, and will ignore you (and food) for a while (they hate change), but should be fine once they settle.

Jamie
I trust what you are saying of course but are you sore Craigslist is ok? and I have heard that russians burrow but soil isn't good so I am not sure what to do.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I trust what you are saying of course but are you sore Craigslist is ok? and I have heard that russians burrow but soil isn't good so I am not sure what to do.
I've gotten three torts from Craigslist, and they're all thriving now.

If you read the careguides here on TFO, you'll find abundant info on keeping Russians.

J

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

I was wondering how much room you have in your back garden? That might also sway you one way or another. Sulcatas make great pets friends companions too! Lots of great care info here on the Forum .

In addition to looking on CraigsList, check out PetFinders as well.

➡️➡️ https://www.petfinder.com/

devontortoise

McLean Virginia
I have a pretty big backyard but I am young so I cant afford a out door heating home for the tort and also I heard that russians burrow and would like one that goes outside an is very social. I have heard soil is not good for them so I dont know what is best for me

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Tortoise care is expensive so make sure you try to price out the supplies before you buy one.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Greetings

I was wondering how much room you have in your back garden? That might also sway you one way or another. Sulcatas make great pets friends companions too! Lots of great care info here on the Forum .

In addition to looking on CraigsList, check out PetFinders as well.

➡➡ https://www.petfinder.com/
I'm lookin for a home for a Sulcata

Reactions: Ink

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I have a pretty big backyard but I am young so I cant afford a out door heating home for the tort and also I heard that russians burrow and would like one that goes outside an is very social. I have heard soil is not good for them so I dont know what is best for me
I agree with @jsheffield I think a russian would be perfect for you. They have huge personalities and are very sociable and active.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Reactions: Ink