Hyper Russian

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
My Russian has a huge outdoor enclosure, but sometimes it's too cold for him to go outside. As a result he'll try to get out of his terrarium, banging against the glass, moving his furniture, etc. He also refuses to stop and calm down enough to eat. What should I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Give him a bigger indoor space. But really, you just have to grin and bear it. Once they've been shown there's a world outside their four walls it's very hard for them to settle down and be satisfied there anymore.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to hear that. :(

Personally, I don't think that transparent enclosures are suitable for torts. How about an enclosure that is made of wood? ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you're taking him from a very large outdoor enclosure to a very small indoor enclosure he's going to be pissed off. grin and bear it or get a bigger indoor enclosure.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
I did attach a smaller tub to his enclosure to make it bigger until I can find something like a tortoise table. What do you guys think about this?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think the plastic tub is a great idea. I would also recommend blocking the walls with a towel or paper or something. That calmed my tortoise down right away. Also, what substrate are you using? When my tortoise can burrow, she also calms down. I hope this helps!

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Thanks! My tortoise does seem unaware of the glass sometimes. I'll use a towel ☺. I'm using a mixture of coconut fiber and coconut bark chips.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
JoesMum, you are probably right. How do you recommend I get the temperature up in the greenhouse? Normally it's around 60 degrees (it's not insulated)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
JoesMum, you are probably right. How do you recommend I get the temperature up in the greenhouse? Normally it's around 60 degrees (it's not insulated)
You won't successfully get the heat up in a greenhouse without running heaters 24/7. You would also need a basking lamp out there so your tort can bask.

4' x 8' is the recommended minimum for an enclosure and yours is currently less than that. It's also important that your tort can't see that there's a world outside the enclosure. Glass walls will make matters worse with this tortoise.

I'd suggest using a large bookcase lying on its side with the shelves knocked and lined with pond liner or a shower curtain to protect it from the damp substrate.

A garden tortoise can find the move indoors very challenging and you have my sympathies. I only ever had to keep Joe up one winter due to sickness. It was awful for both of us; he hated the constraints despite having an enclosure that took up most of our dining room. Even at night I could hear him clattering round trying to get out. He hibernated before and has hibernated ever since.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
My tortoise probably won't be able to hibernate this year because we couldn't get the worming meds until recently, and to be cautious, the vet recommended not to hibernate him. However, he should be fit to do it next winter.