Humidity??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hustleharder

5 Year Member
I have a friend that turned me onto this forum. I have two baby spur thighs in a 50 gal tank. The pet shop guy told us to have no humidity in the tank considering they are desert toirtoises. And my friend Is telling me I need 80%. What should I do?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Petshops will always misinform you. They dont know everything. African spur thighs? Sulcatas? Yes, your friend is correct. Read the threads below my signature...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most pet shops will never be right, about anything. The proper way to raise your Sullies is below in my post. They are Toms and he's done all the work and trials and errors for us. Follow his way and you should have healthy, smooth sulcatas. The leopard thread will pertain also.

BTW, Hello and Welcome:)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. You do need to have humidity and with the humidity you also need warmth. Warm and humidity equalls a smooth shelled baby. Cool and humid will lead to a respiratory infection. At some point you will need to seperate those two babies. Bullying can start at a very early stage and go unnoticed for a long time. One will become dominant and take the best basking spot, most food, best hiding spot, etc.

hustleharder

5 Year Member
My friend was telling about Tom I'm not to familiar with this forum and I don't know how to read what Tom has to say. And I don't know how to see signatures or anything yet. Defently have to throw some humidity in my tank. As of right now there's none. I only have a little pond like rock where they soak on there own from time to time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go into your UserCP and click on "Edit Options". Make sure your "display users signatures" box is checked. Once you can see them, just click on the links. Alternatively, you can see these links at the top of the sulcata page or on the opening portal page. If you scroll up right now you will see "FORUMS PORTAL SEARCH ETC..." Click on PORTAL and you will get to some of the good ones.

hustleharder

5 Year Member
I'm on the app on my iPhone ill have to log into from my laptop. I thought I knew what I was doing with my tortoises until I started reading some of these posts. Now I'm concerned my little guys arnt growing.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
hustleharder said:
I have a friend that turned me onto this forum. I have two baby spur thighs in a 50 gal tank. The pet shop guy told us to have no humidity in the tank considering they are desert toirtoises. And my friend Is telling me I need 80%. What should I do?

Tom has educated us on the ecology of sulcatas in Africa. They are not desert tortoises. They're from the savannas of the Sahel, a transition zone between the big Sahara desert to the north, and the tropical rain forests to the south. So, they need more moisture than what the desert can provide. As babies they hatch out during the rainy season, when moisture and humidity levels are way up. And as adults, like a lot of other tortoises, they spend a lot of time in their burrows, where relative humidity is also higher. So, it's a myth that they don't need humidity. Tortoises survive dry conditions by getting enough moisture when they need it.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
hustleharder said:

Tom has educated us on the ecology of sulcatas in Africa. They are not desert tortoises. They're from the savannas of the Sahel, a transition zone between the big Sahara desert to the north, and the tropical rain forests to the south. So, they need more moisture than what the desert can provide. As babies they hatch out during the rainy season, when moisture and humidity levels are way up. And as adults, like a lot of other tortoises, they spend a lot of time in their burrows, where relative humidity is also higher. So, it's a myth that they don't need humidity. Tortoises survive dry conditions by getting enough moisture when they need it.
Very well said. When I came to the Forum I had no idea. Tom's threads and post about the difference between hatchlings/babies and adult needs really opened my eyes. When you think about it, aren't most species this way? My sulcata is now 3 plus years old and I continue to learn from Tom and other experienced keepers here on the Forum. You guys and gals are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.