Humidity up to what age?

Amajoy

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
Hi, me again... Up to what age should you maintain a high 80% humidity for my Leo?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Ideally, at least a humid hide for them as long as they are growing. When they are 8 to 10 inches, they can be put outside full time with the right accomodations.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I still keep it moderately humid in my leopards outdoor house. They never outgrow needing some moisture ;)

My leopard is about 7lbs and lives in the backyard with a heated tort house. The house floor is lined with vinyl flooring and I use damp coco coir as the substrate. I add water so the humidity is around 80% and then over the next week or 2 it drops to 50%. Then I add water, repeat..

2015-07-08_15.28.17.jpg
2015-07-08_15.31.54.jpg

So, always keep your baby's indoor chamber with high humidity.

Once he spends time outside daily, your outdoor enclosure should be well planted and have patches of overgrown grasses/weeds. Those areas will naturally be humid. He'll still come inside to sleep in the humid chamber.

Once your tort is outside full time, you'll keep a moderately humid hide or tort house for the rest of his life... ;)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Hi,
I kept my Leo in a humid environment from the age of 1 year (when I bought him) upto about about 8 months ago. He is now about 4 years old. He stopped pyramiding about a year ago and is now a house tortoise with around 30-40% humidity.
He has 2-3 soaks a week and access to water and he's doing fine :)
It really depends on the tortoise and how long you can keep up the humidity for. Don't forget these mammas get huge! Haha.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There's no age limit . You have to keep mimicking their natural environment their whole life.